recessed bathroom cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
Hi guys..been awhile and all is going well.
Supply and waste lines are done(90% - need final cut sheet for tub), joists have been sistered more than required, subfloor has been laid, electric is in, some sheetrock is even going up, etc :)

But now we have hit a small bump in the road..."the plan" was to put a recessed bathroom cabinet(RBC) over the pedistal sink. The RBCs and big blue and orange leave much to be desired. Seraching the web for this has been more of an excercise in futility than one can imagine.

I was hoping some of the bath pro's here would have some sites that show various RBCs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
Thanks Terry,
I'm sure the "boss" will be able to select one that will match the bathroom's decor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While they don't stock many, HD and any bath design store has numerous suppliers that make those with the same finishes of the vanities...course, you have to wait for them to be delivered.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
recessed cabinet

installing a recessed cabinet is a job I would
not wish on a dog....every time I have done it
their was always a "little surprise" waiting for me
like a 3 inch cast iron stack ......or something like that

you can almost expect trouble , at least expect cutting
down half the house with a chain saw just to get the
wall cleared out enough to make the cabinet fit.

have you already cut out a hole in the wall where you
want to recess this cabinet to see
what might be lurking in that wall???

good luck

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Mark is right, of course!...assuming you want the thing in front of the sink, it is highly likely that there is a vent line in the wall. You'll often have electrical wiring in there as well, since lights are a common thing, too :D . I recently put one in, but ended up building out a section of the wall the depth of a 2x4 and drywall. Bought it from teh same place I bought the vanity...same wood and finish. Almost looks like I planned it that way...

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
you can almost expect trouble , at least expect cutting
down half the house with a chain saw just to get the
wall cleared out enough to make the cabinet fit.

have you already cut out a hole in the wall where you
want to recess this cabinet to see
what might be lurking in that wall???

good luck

Have no fear !
This bathroom was gutted to the studs - no more surprises...
...just questions, like where am I going to get a recessed cabinet :confused: ...Terry has pointed me in a good direction.

jadnashua said:
.... it is highly likely that there is a vent line in the wall...electrical wiring in there as well, since lights are a common thing, too :D .

The vent stack is off to the side and comes up a good 24" OFF the wall ~ lower walls to not match the upper walls where this bath is.
Electricity WOULD be an issue - but since I'm an electrical contractor :p the bath will be lit-up like Yankee Stadium with too many switches..LOL.

You guys are BOTH correct. However, when gutting and re-building I planned ahead - if only slightly - for this...I knew the cabinet would be recessed and I knew there would a light over it. Actually FINDING items that will fit in the space available is the challange.
I'll post a picture of where I am up to tom'row....as a reference point, you can check some of my previous posts:
https://terrylove.com/forums/search.php?searchid=75603

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might consider having one custom made by a local cabinet shop. Those box store cabinets are mostly pressed wood at bests. This is just a basic box with a door, so a custom cabinet would not be a whole lot more expensive than a good quality one ready-made, and it would be designed for your use.

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
Excellant idea!
I never even considered that. I'll run it past the "boss", and see what she says.

Thanks for the reply.

(PS to anyone following this thread/my bath project...I've been swamped at work and haven't even seen the bath in weeks...pictures will be comming soon ~ I hope)

barry88

Reaction score
www.inwallcabinets.com

Check out this company. www.inwallcabinets.com They have really nice quality cabinets. Bath cabinets are in 3 sizes. I installed one of their cue racks and back bar cabinets. Wow, it came out soo nice. made a hugh difference--created a nice custom built in look.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Tony I bought an oval-all metal/glass shelves 30X20 last year at a local big box. I don't recall which one---but it's still in stock as of a couple weeks back.
4 adjustable glass shelves. It was about 75 bucks.
Xlnt quality and robust construction.
If you are tired of looking at the same shape mirror---this is the ticket.

I paid a handy man to put in in. It Did take him the good part of a day to install---but it was worth it.

It came with detailed instructions and heavy gage metal fabrication.

Mike50

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If he's still waiting for advice after 2 years, he has the patience of Job.:D

Last edited:

murrayskeeter

Reaction score
I think it's possible to convert those recessed cabinets into of these cabinets. Pretty much simple but looks very elegant. I think you just have to let your imagination work the magic.

vanity%20furniture%20set%201.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Now the original question is five years old, so I would hope he has found a solution by now, or he has a VERY patient wife, or they are divorced, (remodels can do that to a marriage), and the house was sold.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks