Recess lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry J

Reaction score
I am installing recess lighting in my finished cellar room, I have suspended ceilings.
The gap between the bottom of the joist and the top of the ceiling tile is 2 1/2 inches, but the most my can light ajust to is 1 inch lower. So if I mount it to my joist ..it won't reach the top of the tile.
I know I can mount it on the ceiling frame, but is there a way I can do it on the joist??
It's my first time with recess lights, does the "baffle" assembly somehow cover that gap of 1 1/2 inches??? The instructions that come with it is minimal.
Thanks
Barry

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Why don't you just scab on or cross-strap on a 2 inch piece of wood to the bottom of the joists to lower the cans? I would not trust mounting it to the suspended ceiling frame.

Barry J

Reaction score
Alright, seems like either add more wood, or mount onto the frame...frame appears to be pretty stable,
I've got 6 lights to put up and retrofitting all those lights with wood, seems like frame mount is way to go
any negatives with installing on frame???

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Most every recess fixture I have installed in a lay-in ceiling was mounted to the ceiling grid.
Every recessed can I have ever seen has adjustments for the depth of the can.

What brand name can are you using?

Undfusk

Reaction score
I am installing recess lighting in my finished cellar room, I have suspended ceilings.
The gap between the bottom of the joist and the top of the ceiling tile is 2 1/2 inches, but the most my can light ajust to is 1 inch lower. So if I mount it to my joist ..it won't reach the top of the tile
visit this.
I know I can mount it on the ceiling frame, but is there a way I can do it on the joist??
It's my first time with recess lights, does the "baffle" assembly somehow cover that gap of 1 1/2 inches??? The instructions that come with it is minimal.
Thanks

Barry
Which technology recess lights you have purchased?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks