Rebuilt Pump - Still leaking around gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Mjkarabela

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

I got this old Duro K-255 piston pump. Last night, wasn't holding prime over night, so took it home and rebuilt it. However, there is still like 5 drips per 20 seconds coming out around this gasket, not under pressure. The mating surfaces are a bit pitted, but I was hoping the gasket would take care of the imperfections. I've never rebuilt pumps before, the cottage is 2 hours away, is this normal after a rebuild? Will the little holes rust up and clog and we'll be OK for another couple years? Or if I put it underpressure is it going to spray like a spray nozzle on a hose when it's not on properly?

I'm thinking the only other option is to get the surfaces machined...

Screenshot 2022-06-15 210703.png
PXL_20220615_215648495.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks like that is on the low pressure side? If so, that is why you are losing prime. Probably won't rust up and stop leaking with a gasket between the surfaces. Silicon the gasket and let it dry.

Mjkarabela

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Not sure if it's the low pressure side or not - this is basically the pump

So I should:

1 - Take it back apart.
2 - Clean the surfaces.
3 - Put a small bead of silicon on both sides of the gasket. Any particular type of silicon I should use?
4 - Put it back together while it's still wet
5 - Let it dry

and voila?

I was also thinking putting some JB Weld on the surfaces, and then sanding it smooth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks