rebuild parts for 2006 Kohler Memoirs toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was in HD the other day, and looked for a replacement fill valve and the correct flapper for my memoirs toilet. Of the 2 brands the carry, just about every package said "fits most toilets". I would like to buy one that will fit and work right the first time. Can you reccommend the Korky model of fill valve and 2 inch flapper that will be the correct parts for my toilet?
Thanks in advance and Happy Memorial Day

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may help if you attach a photo (800 pixles or less) of the inside of the tank.

kohler_memoirs_shepard.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The fill valve looks like a custom Fluidmaster. If so, you can replace the working seal for about $1. A second problem is that the refill hose is tucked into the overflow tube...THIS IS NOT GOOD!! It needs to be above, held in place by the (originally) supplied clip otherwise, it can cause the tank to siphon, and waste water plus provide a potential contamination situation. Most newer valves are designed to prevent that cross-contamination, but it's best not to push your luck or waste water!

The flapper with a float is required to ensure the designed amount of water leaves the tank and it closes when it should. There are some that are adjustable, and with a little fiddling, you should be able to make that work. To find an OEM replacement, you may need to go to a plumbing store. If you get a flapper that doesn't close at the right time, you'll either use more water, or not enough. The former won't affect performance, only economy. The later is a problem that will often result in two flushes....the first to refill the bowl, the second to actually flush.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim, The problem is not that the fill valve leaks or does not shut off, but when the toilet is flushed, the float barrel does not slide down the tube beacuse it seems like the valve is hanging up. Touching the float, it feels free, and there is some tension on the link. Glad you pointed out the refill tube not being supported by a clip. I installed this toilet myself in 2006 and can't remember ever having removed the clip.

The flapper does not leak either, just thought I'd replace it as a PM thing when I fix/replace the fill valve. The foam float is good still too.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would use a Korky #16BP flapper without the float.

16BP-Unpackaged.jpg

The plastic cone on the underside of the flapper turns to adjust the amount of time the flapper stays open.
I have found that they close much more solid than the OEM Flappers and have far fewer leaks.
Adjust the closing to match the original float flapper closing. Or if the toilet has had a weak flush give it a little longer open time.

The gasket on the flush valve underneath the flapper on the Kohler Ingenium flush models often have rubber that puckers up and interferes with the flapper closing properly. I usually trim away the excess puckered up rubber with a single edge razor blade to allow proper closing of the flapper.

Replace the fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400A and use a new braided stainless steel closet supply as well do not buy the Watts Floodsafe ones they sell at big orange box.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Redwood, thanks for the part number recommendations and info. I have a fairly new braided stainless steel (not a floodsafe) supply line. That was the info I was looking for originally, and I was happy to get Jim's info as well.

Jim, the refill tubing in the overflow pipe: I pulled it out of the pipe and saw a little clip made out of maybe stainless, but it is made out of wire and attaches to the tubing by piercing it. when I clipped it onto the pipe, the end of the tubing still sits below the pipe top by about 1/4 inch, and I guess I should look for a newer design clip Or I can fabricate something if a new clip is not easily available or does not come with a new fill valve. That clip was the original that came with the Kohler Memoirs toilet.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The clip that comes with the Fluidmaster 400A... I usually separate the plastic portion from the metal clip and use just the metal clip.
Works much nicer...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who helped me here. I bought the recommended 400A valve and 16BP flapper and put them in. took but a few minutes, and it works great now.
Bob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks