Rebuild of Goulds J5SH

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I want to plan ahead for if my pump fails so I need to order a rebuild kit.....I think. My question is should I order a rebuild kit for the pump or bearings for the motor, or both? When a pump like this goes bad, what usually is the problem? The pump or motor? Or should I order an entire new unit and keep it on hand? I don't want to wait until the pump goes bad, then have to scramble around trying to order parts or a pump. That's when you usually wind up paying lots of money. I was a boy scout. Be Prepared! Thanks guys.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Spare pumps are a tough thing. Date code gets old. Bearings get flat spots and dry out. Rubber in seals gets brittle. An impeller, mechanical seal, and a couple of motor bearings will usually rebuild the whole thing though. But if is is 20 years before you use them they won't be in mint condition.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
How would I find out which bearings it takes? Other than to call Gould’s or take it apart? Reason I ask that is because I replace my mower deck bearings about every 2 years or so. $1.20 each through a bearing house but Toro wants $15 each! And it takes 6!!

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Yeah I did that. I couldn’t find bearings. I’m wondering if it’s a sealed motor and the bearings are not replaceable.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Here’s the pump plate.

Attachments

• 88A2B1B2-DD98-41F8-917C-DA8B7232006A.jpeg
    88A2B1B2-DD98-41F8-917C-DA8B7232006A.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 171
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks