REBEDDING BIRM FILTER (AERATION W/BACKWASH BIRM)

Users who are viewing this thread

pjfontes

Reaction score
I think I finally found the right forum for these types of questions.

I'm a DIYer that recently moved away from the city and am trying to gather information for all the devices that get water from my well to my faucets.

The house came with Culligan Iron Cleer system. It is a two-tank (10x54) system, aeration/birm. It's no secret that Culligan is not exactly diy-friendly but I intend to keep this device maintained myself.

The service manual calls for 25lbs of "CULLSAN U" and 35lbs of "G-50" for the underbedding. Does anyone know what the generic name is for these media types?

What products are considered 'good practice' for the underbedding of a BIRM w/Aeration backwash filter?

I emailed a popular online water treatment website and it was suggested that I use 16lbs of 1/4 x 1/8 gravel. I'm having a tough time with the thought of replacing 60lbs of multi-layered underbedding with 16lbs of "gravel".

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Pic from one of their service manuals.

Last edited by a moderator:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would replace the birm with a modern iron reduction media, Katalox Light or Ferrilite are basically birm on steroids. You would have to increase the backwash slightly. A simple Garnet or gravel underbedding is adequate. 15 pounds of gravel 1/8" x 1/16" or 20 pounds of coarse Garnet would be ideal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks