Reasonable quote for zone valve replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

NJW

Reaction score
My father's house is heated by hot water baseboard with a three-zone system (basement, 1st floor & 2nd floor).

There was no heat in the upper two floors and the basement was excessively hot. He has a contract with the local energy company (PSE&G). The PSE&G guy said the basement zone valve was stuck open.

He did something to shut it off, which then resulted in heat to the upper floors; which was the most important thing. He said the basement zone valve needs to be replaced by a plumber. He also noted that one of the other zone valves, while operating, was quite corroded and should be replaced as well.

I called a local plumber (based on numerous positive online reviews). Two workers showed up and surveyed the situation. They agreed with the PSE&G guy that both zone valves should be replaced.

They called the boss to get a quote for the work. I could hear the boss telling the worker to replace all three zone valves. The worker correctly noted that there was no reason to replace the third valve as it looked new. I then hear the boss telling the worker to replace the thermostats. Again, the worker says that, while they're old, they still work. I then hear the boss telling the worker to replace the expansion tank...

Bottom line, they want $975 to replace both zones valves; which obviously includes draining and refilling the system. I told the workers I would need to think about it and he was very understanding. Of course though, he calls the boss who now wants to talk with me.

He starts berating me for wasting his time and says not to call back as they will not return for a $400 job (note they were going to charge us $975).

So...my question is...what is a reasonable charge for replacing two zone valves?

As an FYI, this is in the northeastern part of the U.S. (New Jersey to be exact).

Stuff

Reaction score
Pricing is local and can vary widely.

Big company? I wouldn't use them but might call the owner to let him know your experience.
That "boss" has a bright future as a crooked used car salesman.

NJW

Reaction score
Pricing is local and can vary widely.

Big company? I wouldn't use them but might call the owner to let him know your experience.
That "boss" has a bright future as a crooked used car salesman.

The boss I spoke with is the owner, so I am out of options as far as complaints go. I could post something online, but I’ve heard of companies suing for bad comments - and this “upstanding” businessman certainly seems like the type.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks