Reason for PEX to Copper Transition?

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
When I renovated my smaller bath, the plumber transitioned from Uponor to copper for the tub spout and the handheld shower head wall elbow. He explained at the time why this was better than routing PEX to those consumers. But I can't remember the reason.

I'm getting ready to renovate the master bath with Uponor and will be using a different plumber. There will be a fixed shower head and a handheld shower head (no tub).

Should I specify copper be used in the same manner as it was in the other bath?

(And yes, it drove me nuts that he didn't use a welding/heat mat behind his torch when sweating those connections).

Copper.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think in your picture, the copper is what is holding the valve in place.

The path to the tub spout should be copper to limit restriction that might cause water to dribble out of the showerhead when you are trying to just use the tub spout.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I think in your picture, the copper is what is holding the valve in place.

The path to the tub spout should be copper to limit restriction that might cause water to dribble out of the shower head when you are trying to just use the tub spout.
Hmmm...yeah, I hadn't really given thought to the fact that there isn't any deadwood behind the valve to support it. But I know he didn't transition to copper specifically to support the valve. I definitely remember he explained why it was better to use copper to the consumer. The reason could very well be what you describe. I simply can't recall his explanation.

With that said, since there will be no tub spout in the master bath, is there any reason I should specify a similar installation?

Would there be any detriment to routing PEX directly to/from the valve and to the fixed and hand held shower head connections? There will be a three-way valve used that will allow either the fixed shower head to be used alone, the handheld shower head to be used alone or both to be used simultaneously.

Reach4

Reaction score
So for the spout, he was right for sure. The copper fittings may have been easier once he was soldering anyway. With copper, you can position stuff before you solder. With expansion PEX (F1960) you have to get it right the first time.

F1960 drop ear elbows are expensive.

Would there be any detriment to routing PEX directly to/from the valve and to the fixed and hand held shower head connections?
No.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks