Rear outlet toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

analogmusicman

Reaction score
I'm in the beginning stages (I can't do this until I get other stuff done in the house) of laying out a small bath on my lower level (some would call it the basement but my house is a "ranch" so it's called the "lower level" I guess) Anyway, I'm going to use a "rear discharge" toilet since I don't feel like busting through the concrete! :) The toilet will discharge into the waste stack which runs down the wall and into the concrete floor. here's the "rub": it looks like a standard "rear discharge" toilet has a 4 inch "rough in" meaning the "tee" that I install in the stack,would have to be 4 inches from the finished floor. I don't think I'd make it without chipping some concrete (stay tuned for pix of the stack which will be forthcoming when I can open the wall) An 8 inch rough-in toilet might do it so my question for now is: does anyone know of a decent 8 inch toilet that's reasonably priced? (maybbe $400-$500) There'll be plenty of questions when the project actually gets under way.

tnx,

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will want to vent the toilet before it enters the main stack. Most roughs for the wall are 4-1/4"
You could bump that up to six or more, which raises the bowl height.
Normally, I would just go ahead and chip concrete though.

Edited
I was thinking wall hung, not floor mount when I wrote that.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ALL floor mount rear outlet toilets have the same rough in dimeesion. You will have to break down more than a "couple of inches" to get the tee into the line at the proper height. your other problem is that you CANNOT legally just "put a tee in the line" and connect the toilet to it, nor can you just "connect anything else to it" without EVERYTHING being vented.

analogmusicman

Reaction score
oh yeah,about venting (I never said I was going to just connect things to the stack without proper venting,now did I?) Anyway,I have been told that my venting for both the toilet and the sink can be taken care of by a single AAV under the sink. true? (this was told to me several years back by a plumber who came over for an estimate. the project "hibernated" for awhile but is now a priority)

tnx,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Any toilet that does NOT have a "standard height" outlet, (or mounting, such as the Case 3000), would doom the purchaser to NEVER being able to change models. Those you show in that posting are European models, which may be the "standard" over there.

Last edited:

analogmusicman

Reaction score
ah yes..."standard height"! I think you just ought to admit you were wrong in this statement:
ALL floor mount rear outlet toilets have the same rough in dimeesion

or ,in this forum,does the mod get to make mistakes and "gloss" it over? (the rest of us would for once like to see a "mod" admit that he was wrong :)

tnx,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"Standard height" would apply to 99% of the toilets. Any others would be "proprietary" and specific to a certain manufacturer who could ONLY sell to people who already have one of his toilets, or are willing to revise the piping to fit it. The history of plumbing is strewn with "renegades" who decide THEIR way is superior to what the rest of the companies are doing, and eventually their customers pay the price for using them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ah yes..."standard height"! I think you just ought to admit you were wrong in this statement:
ALL floor mount rear outlet toilets have the same rough in dimeesion

or ,in this forum,does the mod get to make mistakes and "gloss" it over? (the rest of us would for once like to see a "mod" admit that he was wrong :)

tnx,

There has been some strange stuff coming to the US lateley that a lot of us have never used.
You posted a link to some of that. Frankly I have never installed one. I've been plumbing forty years, and have sold and installed thousands of toilets.
Not any of those posted by you with the plastic piece that runs over to a wall outlet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks