Re-use ABS fitting after glue has dried

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
I glued two pieces together (ABS and medium cement Oatey blue and white can) and quickly removed it before it set because I made a mistake in my measurement. 30 minutes later I used that same fitting and put a fresh piece of ABS into it - as you normally would - glue on the pipe and fresh glue on the fitting again. Is this ok or should I cut it out?

I’ve seen lots of guys “saving” fittings like this on YouTube. But it doesn’t seem right because the glue basically melts the ABS right? But does it re-melt dried glue? Also, I didn’t sand anything or rough up the dried glue or anything like that

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do it from time to time with PVC. In between I always give the fitting a very good cleaning with lots of primer. It works fine, probably not recommended. You just have to be very observant and if your not confident either test it or RIP it out.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ABS, done that hundreds of times or at least many dozen in my new home construction days 100 glue joints a day I'm pulling at least one apart, depending on situation a joint could be compromised, sometimes we would give a joint a swipe around the outside of pipe right at the joint with the glue dauber (its not in the manual) obviously no jagged edges or burrs and following procedure is a good thing . We test everything basically and leaks occur they are always or 90 percent of time the installers fault but it happens when your flying along trying to get production . Usually the fitting isn't bottomed out or glue missed a spot

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its not the Most preferred method... but I've done it a many times.

The Only time I've had an ABS joint leak was right after telling a client who asked if I had used enough glue on a fitting and I told him that ABS was near impossible to have leaks. Of course the fitting was buried so deep in the ceiling that it was a nightmare to replace.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its not the Most preferred method... but I've done it a many times.

The Only time I've had an ABS joint leak was right after telling a client who asked if I had used enough glue on a fitting and I told him that ABS was near impossible to have leaks. Of course the fitting was buried so deep in the ceiling that it was a nightmare to replace.
Dang well I only had 1 leak too had there been no witnesses I could still say I never had a leak! I'll put it this way I've rarely tossed the fitting and not over cost but I'm pretty confident in re gluing now on pressure pipe I very much refrain from the practice

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks