Re-Surface Fiberglass Tub/Shower 1piece Shell

Users who are viewing this thread

scri8e

Reaction score
I am a Landlord. I'm having a rough time findig a product to re-surface a fiberglass tub/shower 1 piece shell. It has been painted before from a past owner of the property and it was not a good quality job/product. Looks like they used marine paint. It is peeling off in large chunks as big as 10inches x 8 inches. I know about the re-surface kits at Home De-Pot or Low*s. To me they are low quality and the end result is crappy. Since one piece fiberglass shells are put in new construction and the walls built around the units. I know that I cannot replace the shell without ripping exterior walls. So that is out.
Replacing with a new tub and a three piece kit
is costly and those 3 to 5 piece kits are HIGH
maintaince products. So much so I call them "Caulk-a-lots". So... I've been researching this
problem repair and have been told that in order to re-surface with a "gel coat" that isn't possible? That gel coats are put into a mold first and then the fiberglass is put into the mold 2nd. Yet things like fiberglass boats, ski's are repaired all the time? So how do I do this?
I can't leave it like this. The tenants need a
surface in their tub/shower that can be kept clean and sanitary. The tub/shower unit is not leaking. If I find any question-able areas I know how to do fiberglass repair. Just not the gelcoat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your first problem is the coat of paint on there. How to recoat over that. I believe this is not DIY. I would call a company that specializes in refinishing tubs and showers. They have the nececessary sanding and spray equipment, plus the right products.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I worked in an apartment complex that had 200 of those one-piece fiberglass shells. Or maybe they were the "caulk-alots." In any case, they were falling apart and cracking. We hired a contractor to replace them as the units became vacant. He just demo'd the whole thing, including the walls. We supplied all the materials, and he replaced those pieces of crap with a new porcelain tub, new backer board, and ceramic tile. This guy would do one complete unit in a day, including grouting and caulking. I think he got $200-$250 for it.

You can probably get someone to do the same thing at a discount rate if the work is steady.

Last edited:

scri8e

Reaction score
*blink* *blink*...
Have I found the solution? With my luck this company is in New York or something with me in CA! I submitted my info. We shall see. I like the idea of the additional flooring/patch? put in the tub. What is your take on this possible solution? Pro's/Con's? (hopefully no con's and all pro's)

bathtub refinishing, fiberglass bathtub repair, fiberglass tub repair

http://oldbathtubs.com/fiberglassbathtubs.htm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks