Re Routing Stack of drains and water lines

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

IF those lines are 4", (they will NOT be 6"), and as I said, I am taking your word for them since I nothing to compare them to and having the insulation on them makes it even more difficult, then they are for something other than the upstairs kitchen sink. The larger these pipes are, the more difficult it will be to reroute them and the more it will cost. IF the parts really cost $350.00 then your $1,600.00 estimate only leaves about $1,200.00 for labor and two men could eat that up and still have an early supper. MY labor rates are NOT negotiable, since my costs have not gone down even though the economy has.

cvdoj

Reaction score
Thanks, HJ

Those large insulated 4" (measured this morning) ABS pipes have nothing to do with the kitchen sink. The kitchen sink is behind the wall (in the kitchen) in the labeled photo where I outlined in purple. Upstairs, we have a bathroom directly above the drains/"sewer stacks" (like I said earlier), and the drain on the left is the drain from our upstairs neighbors. The smaller black pipe to the right of the drains is the vent and drain for the kitchen sink.

I think after all of the tangents that have been taken, things are getting confusing because people are commenting on things that I addressed clearly early on.

I just wanted to come here and see if anyone had any other ideas about how this could be done. The contractors we saw had the two ideas:running the pipes over to the right, or running them back through the ceiling to the back of the kitchen where the drains go out of the unit.

I asked about the possibility of running them over to the left and leaving a "pillar" of sorts so that the rest of the wall would still be open. No one has answered that at all. The distance between the larger drain on the right and the end of the wall on the left is exactly 4 feet, which should leave just enough room to maintain pitch.

Let's not focus on the money. I was wondering about how much it should cost, but another poster had a good point about location, etc. I only asked because as I said we had such a wide range of quotes, we were confused and thought someone could center us a little. I am more concerned with hiring someone who will do quality, legal work.

If anyone has any ideas about how this might be done and still look nice and open, please let me know.

We have had a few residents do similar work (with our exact construction), but the contractor who worked for the only resident who still owns the place is not in the country. That contractor eliminated the entire wall, cabinets, base cabinets and all and rerouted the pipes to somewhere hidden in the unit. We know it can be done. We know it has been done. That is not the question. The question is, can anyone come up with a creative/sensible way to do this, other than the ways the contractors have suggested?

Thanks for everyone's time. Hope I have clarified a little!

Last edited:

cvdoj

Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you to everyone who took the time to contribute.

Turns out, we have plenty of room to move the pipes to the right and keep the .25"/1' pitch. (about 7 feet... more than enough of room in the 1 foot space we have between the ceiling and next floor) So the original mockup I posted is the way we are going with it- although we may run one pipe out and then down with the other to ensure there is room in the ceiling. We found a plumber who pulls his own permits and seems pretty knowledgeable.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks