Re-Replumb Info Sought

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Single floor, two bedroom, two bath home in Florida, built on a slab. Home had a slab leak prior to my ownership. It was replumbed with CPVC in/through the attic. As each room is remodeled, I'd like to replace the CPVC with PEX, as much as I can.

I've just demo'd the guest bathroom. The plumbing for the adjoining laundry room is in a common wall, which is now fully accessible. There is a utility sink in the laundry room. The CPVC is plumbed through the wall from the adjoining bathroom into the laundry vanity under the utility sink. There are shut-offs for both the utility sink and the washer, which is next to the utility sink.

If the goal is to eliminate as much of the CPVC from the house as possible, what would be the best approach to replacing the CPVC pictured under the utility sink? Should this be redone in copper and joined to the new PEX?

Any other thoughts or considerations?

TIA.

tips5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "goal" should be to either replace ALL the CPVC or do not replace any of it. IF you do NOT TRUST the CPVC, why would you want ANY of it left in the building?

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
reach4 said:
Why would that be a goal?

hj said:
The "goal" should be to either replace ALL the CPVC or do not replace any of it. IF you do NOT TRUST the CPVC, why would you want ANY of it left in the building?

I wholeheartedly agree with the above. In a perfect world, I would choose to have zero CPVC remaining in the house. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. There was an unplanned kitchen renovation just after I bought the house. Because of the elimination of a wall, a tight, unanticipated timeline, etc., etc., there is now about 15'-20' of inaccessible CPVC behind six year-old kitchen cabinets, tile backsplash and stone work. While I would like to have 100% of the CPVC replaced, it's simply not cost effective (for me) to tear out a six year-old kitchen.

So, the real-world goal is to eliminate that which I can. Once this bathroom renovation is complete, the only remaining CPVC (other than what's inaccessible in the kitchen) will be in the second bathroom. The second bathroom will be renovated sometime after this bathroom renovation is complete.

With that said, I'd appreciate any feedback to the original question.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Why should getting rid of the CPVC in his walls and cabinets be his goal? Is he worried about plasticizers?

Last edited:

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
I have the same situation in our cabin. We are in the process of replacing all the CPVC with copper. The exposed piping in your picture could get bumped accidentally, and I found that the CPVC was very brittle and broke quite easily. If you are as uneasy as I was about the CPVC, I would encourage you to replace it.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I have the same situation in our cabin. We are in the process of replacing all the CPVC with copper. The exposed piping in your picture could get bumped accidentally, and I found that the CPVC was very brittle and broke quite easily. If you are as uneasy as I was about the CPVC, I would encourage you to replace it.
I am replacing it, as each room is renovated. Unfortunately, there will still be some CPVC remaining as described earlier. But all that can be replaced, will be replaced.

I'd still appreciate any input on how best to address the shut-offs for the utility sink and washer, located in the utility sink vanity?

At this point, I'm planning to replicate what is now there with copper and join that to the PEX that will replace the CPVC supply in the wall and up into the attic.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You need to consider that the I.D. of CPVC is notably larger that the equivalent PEX, so for a run in PEX that is feeding more that one fixture, the pipe size should be increased to next larger size.

We prefer our shut-offs to be solidly mounted and are not big on PEX, so in your case I would sweat transition fitting to a stub of copper and a copper tee to make 2-port manifolds with 1/4 turn valves for each fixture.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
cacher_chick said:
You need to consider that the I.D. of CPVC is notably larger that the equivalent PEX, so for a run in PEX that is feeding more that one fixture, the pipe size should be increased to next larger size.

We prefer our shut-offs to be solidly mounted and are not big on PEX, so in your case I would sweat transition fitting to a stub of copper and a copper tee to make 2-port manifolds with 1/4 turn valves for each fixture.
Thanks for the info. I will look into using a larger supply for the washer/utility sink, though in the six years since I renovated the laundry room (at the same time as the kitchen), I don't believe I've ever used the utility sink and washer at the same time.

With regard to your suggestion of a copper manifold with tee's, isn't that effectively what I have right now, in CPVC? Your suggestion is to use a transition fitting to connect the new PEX to to a new copper manifold, similar to what is pictured above? If so, that what I've been planning to do.

Thank you.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will look into using a larger supply for the washer/utility sink, though in the six years since I renovated the laundry room (at the same time as the kitchen), I don't believe I've ever used the utility sink and washer at the same time.

With regard to your suggestion of a copper manifold with tee's, isn't that effectively what I have right now, in CPVC? Your suggestion is to use a transition fitting to connect the new PEX to to a new copper manifold, similar to what is pictured above? If so, that what I've been planning to do.

Thank you.
Yes, technically not much different than what you have now.
I cannot help but to wonder about what problem you are experiencing with the CPVC. We see a good deal of 20 year old CPVC and it has not been any trouble for us.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Yes, technically not much different than what you have now.
I cannot help but to wonder about what problem you are experiencing with the CPVC. We see a good deal of 20 year old CPVC and it has not been any trouble for us.
I haven't had any problems with CPVC, so to speak. As I wrote earlier, whether based in reality or simply in my head, I'd prefer PEX for both peace of mind and for resale.

The CPVC is all over the attic and mostly buried in blown in fiberglass insulation. I'm constantly concerned it's going to get stepped on or other wise disturbed and crack. Again, maybe I'm misguided in my perception but it seems PEX would be less likely to fail if inadvertently stepped-on.

I'd simply prefer PEX. The cost is minimal and I'm happy to spend the money while the walls are open.

Thanks for the info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks