Re piping house with PEX moving ALL supply from crawl to Plumbing chase/ cabinet toe kicks?

Users who are viewing this thread

C Wolford

Reaction score
I can bring all my pipes into the thermal envelop of my house aka not in the crawl space. I just don’t know if it would be considered workmanship like. Looking on input.

House Layout, and idea: (has image)

The part of the house in question is the kitchen, laundry room, bathroom. They are all on an outside wall in a row. The water comes in from the main in the corner of the kitchen. On the photo I have marked the * water main in, fridge, sink, dishwasher, washer, dryer, hot water heater, bath tub, water closet, bath sink.

The washer and dryer are on the back wall, 4-5 inches out against a plumbing chase (keeping pipes out of exterior wall), that lets the drain of the clothes washer run 3.5 feet in to the interior wall for the vent. (green mark in laundry)

I'm thinking of bring the water main supply up under the kitchen cabinets with a shut off ( where it is now BTW). Then instead of going back down into the crawl, Just run the water from the shut off under the kitchen cabinets in toe kick (green mark in kitchen). Then in to plumbing chase in the laundry. From there To manifold and Hot water heater. Have home runs as need run in plumbing chase and in toe kick.

The short of it:

Bring water in from corner of house in to cabinets.

Run all home runs, manifold supply’s, and hot water supply’s under the kitchen cabinets toe kick and in plumbing chase in laundry (green Line)

No pipe but for short run from ground to kitchen floor will be in the crawl.

What do you think? Good or bad? There is room for the homeruns needed in the plumbing chase and Toe kick. I could even make the plumbing chase open like a trunk and the base of the cabinets open for inspections or repairs?

Good or bad??

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

C Wolford

Reaction score
Anyone is this just a bad idea? I am ready to start, I had planed on running in the crawl, got my pipe insulation and all, But then as I was cutting drywall to mount the new washer supply box and It hit me what I could do.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm plumbing on the warmer West Coast of the Seattle area. Even the Eastern part of the state is much colder in the Winter. I can see that moving the pipes away from the outside wall could be a good idea for you. Normally here the crawl spaces are good too. I've almost never seen a frozen pipe in one. Plenty in outside walls though.

It does seem that notching your cabinets could get a bit annoying though compared to holes for pipes stubbed up through the floor, which you would need to do anyway. Either way would work though. We sometimes plumb our lines below the cabinets, normally to miss a beam below.

C Wolford

Reaction score
the pipes ATM in the crawl are mounted to the bottom of the joists, not between the insulation and sub floor. The crawl is 18" deep + the room between the 2x6 or 2x8 joists. Not a lot of room. Running pipes under the insulation and sub floor If I go that way will be not fun because all the insulation is basically knitted up with wire. it looks like chicken wire but it is done with 1 wire. I have never seen insulation stay up so nice in a crawl, Some one put it up with a lot of love, but to make a job like this a pain.

Thanks for your feed back.

EDIT:
So unless I or someone else (should I sell this house in the future) do heavy remolding/ room add on there is almost noway to rearrange the bath/laundry/kitchen layout. I think I would be safe in assuming having the pipes ran in the plumbing chase and toe kick should not cause any issues.

I believe I can make a plumbing chase in the toe kick and it should look workman like and professional. If you ran in to something like this if a client called you out to add on a pot filler or something would you be like thats nice, thats different, or would it be a WTF moment?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks