Rapidly Fluctuating Water Pressure Cause/Resolution?

Users who are viewing this thread

TexMax007

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've never posted or visited here before, but I'm hoping someone here can help me out. Over the last couple of months at seemingly-random points in the middle of the night, my wife and I will awake to the sound of pipes banging in the walls pretty rapidly for an extended period of time.

A plumber has been over to my house and suggested that a valve might not be open all the way, so we went through and thoroughly opened all of the valves that we know of all the way. We thought that fixed it because it didn't happen again for a while.

However, it came back. I took the following two videos that illustrate what's going on inside the house as well as outside.

Inside
  • Throughout the house we can hear pipes banging at a pretty rapid frequency.
  • If you open a cold valve, the water flows normal, then low, then normal then low over and over as seen in the video.
  • Opening a valve decreases the banging (as expected).
Outside
  • The pipes banging can be heard at the main water supply shutoff valve.
  • Pipes banging can ALSO be heard in my neighbor's foundation.
  • A water pressure gauge on an outside spigot shows the water pressure fluctuating wildly.
  • Sorry for the Blair Witch style video.
We're desperate to figure out what's causing this. We get little sleep with a newborn baby as it is, so waking up to this is the last thing we want to deal with.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is your pressure at different locations around the house? use a water pressure gauge and take readings at the washing machine, garden hose bibb and water heater drain bibb. Take measurements during the day, then report back. You may want to get a second pressure gauge, don't rely solely on the one you have.

Do you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV)?
What is tour street pressure? You may want to call your water company for that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks