Rapidly declining hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

drones

Reaction score
I recently moved into a new home that has a 50 gallon water heater plus a hot water recirculator pump ( Grundfos UP 15-42F and a Honeywell aqua stat L6006C set for 130, 5 degree differential.

My problem is the hot water runs out way too early; about 10 minutes into a shower. The temp on the water heater for both the upper and lower are set to ~140 but the temp coming out of the nearest faucet starts at about 127 and rapidly goes down to ~99 in less than 7 minutes.

I think there is a crossover issue as I turned off the cold water supply to the water heater and turned on the hot water outlets in the bathrooms. The master shower runs when I turn on the hot water. Is this the cause of my running out of hot water?
Thanks for your help.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the WH is electric, maybe lower element has failed.

That does not address the cross-over symptom.

drones

Reaction score
If the WH is electric, maybe lower element has failed.

That does not address the cross-over symptom.

I checked both elements and thermostats. With all else equal, would the crossover issue cause what I am experiencing?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A cross-over situation will significantly decrease the apparent hot water supply by diluting the hot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks