Rapid pressure surges

Users who are viewing this thread

TommyC

Reaction score
I am totall new here, but have been reading posts for a while. Looks like there is a lot of help here.
My problem is rapidly surging pressue or air in air in the water. Often it is violent, worse with hot water.
I'll describe what I know about my well water system. Well is 187 feet deep, pump was replaced 6 years ago. Pressure guage at tank reads 37 psi time time even when surging at outlets. It has always read 37 psi for 17 years. This problem started about 4 weeks ago and got progressively worse. Per recommendation of others replaced 17 year old propane water heater that would not drain. Turned water heater upside down to drain and a bucket full of gelatin like balls with white centers came out with water. System worked great for part of day one. Now has progressed to same condition. Any help?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Air in the water can be very violent. If you have a standard air over water tank you need a new air volume control (AVC). If you have a bladder style tank, you probably have a hole in the pipe going down the well.

TommyC

Reaction score
Air in the water can be very violent. If you have a standard air over water tank you need a new air volume control (AVC). If you have a bladder style tank, you probably have a hole in the pipe going down the well.
Thanks for the advice. My pressure tank has a scraeder valve on top. I've walked the 300' water line and see no sign of water leak(water/mud). Where is the air volumn control?

Reach4

Reaction score
Pressure guage at tank reads 37 psi time time even when surging at outlets. It has always read 37 psi for 17 years.
I presume you are referring to an air pressure gauge reading the air pressure at the Schrader valve when the water pressure is zero. But if you are talking about the water pressure gauge, you need a new water pressure gauge.

Tell us about your pressure tank.
. Turned water heater upside down to drain and a bucket full of gelatin like balls with white centers came out with water.
How large were these balls? Are they tiny like water softener resin? Do you have a water softener?

Also, do you have an above-ground check valve or any other device before your tank tee?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks for the advice. My pressure tank has a scraeder valve on top. I've walked the 300' water line and see no sign of water leak(water/mud). Where is the air volumn control?

Schrader on top means a bladder tank. (no AVC) If you remove the above ground check valve, the pressure will drop even when you are not using water. This would prove you have a hole in the pipe down the well, which is where the air is coming from.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks