Rapid pressure loss

Users who are viewing this thread

Old man

Reaction score
I have a submersible pump, a Well-X-Trol WX-202 pressure tank and a Square D 9013FSG 30/50 switch -all installed in 1987.

Problems started last week when the water turned muddy with sediment and air spurting out of the faucets and the pump short cycling. I adjusted the Square D switch to reduce the pressure and the water cleaned up -the pump however continues to come on when no water is running (no leaky plumbing fixtures that we can see).
It turned out that the pressure in the drained tank was only 5 psi. I added air to bring this up to 20 psi and adjusted so that the pump cuts in at 24 psi. Pressure builds slowly (2 minutes) until the pump cuts off at 36 psi. The pressure drops rapidly (10 seconds) accompanied by the sound of water running - and the pump kicks in again.

Could the bladder in the tank be ruptured or maybe leaks in the well piping? How can you tell these apart plus what/where is a "check valve"?

Any advice would be great.
Thanks

Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The only check valve that counts is the one on the submersible pump. Do you know what type of pipe you have between the house and the pump? Based on your description of what is happening, you probably have a leak in the drop pipe going down the well or the check valve on the pump is bad. It is also possible that the lateral pipe between the well and the home is leaking. This is even more likely if the ground has been frozen as a frost heave could damage the pipe.

If you open the well cap, you might be able to hear it if the drop pipe is leaking. If it's the lateral and the well can produce enough water, sooner or later the water will start bubbling up out of the ground. In any case, these types of repairs are best left to a pro or someone that has the resources of one.

Old man

Reaction score
Many thanks for replying
Looks like one inch PVC pipe coming out of the basement floor. The ground (WI) has been frozen.
The aluminium well cap seems sealed onto the well casing - is it ok to prise it off?

Thanks again.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There should be set-screws or bolts around the outer diameter of the cap holding the cap on the casing. You might need to give it a whack or two if there is corrosion between the two.

Most importantly, don't let anything fall into the well!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks