Random sewer gas smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Craig Farquhar

Reaction score
I skimed over the posts and full well realize that basically Glacier Bay toilets are considered junk! But, they were the best suited to my needs that I could afford. I replaced both of my ancient 12" tall, 7gpf, units with 15" 1.3gpf?(who cares,my water bill went down $20per month)!
Here's my question?
Every so often I smell sewer gas from the toilet I use. I'm not sure about the one in the other bath.
Anyone heard of this problem?
Thanks, Craig

Craig Farquhar

Reaction score
I realize the wax ring can leak air/gas without leaking water, but if the outer rim of the toilet, and the closet bolts are thoroughly caulked... How would the odor get out?
Thanks, Craig

PS. The toilets are back to back, and being disabled I'm just trying to pinpoint the problem before I start pulling toilets.

Last edited:

Shimmies99

Reaction score
I had random sewer gas smell in a bathroom, but I think it came from an unused shower. When water would dry out in the traps we'd get sewer smell, then someone would use shower or I ran water in shower and it went away. Is it from an unsued sink or shower maybe?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you caulked around the toilet and the wax ring is leaking, it can be soaking through the subfloor and/or beneath the finished floor. A plumber will never caulk all the way around a water closet so that any problem with the wax ring is evident.

It is also possible that you have a trap/vent problem that has not been diagnosed. Until you can pinpoint the origin of the smell, it's all guesswork.

Craig Farquhar

Reaction score
The floor is concrete with one layer of vinal. It could be a vent leak, but if it is, the smell should be coming from the other bathroom.
One last question... From the beginning I noticed the water level in the bowl was lower than in the other toilet. (Yes I set the tank water level) Is there any possible way that the toilet could be defective?
Thanks, Craig

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you open the tank lid and take a sniff of the water in the tank what does your nose say?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks