Raising Toilet Water Level

Users who are viewing this thread

Well Newbie

Reaction score
After I flush the toilet, the water level drains leaving very little water in the bowl. When I use the toilet, I constantly have to clean the toilet walls because the waste lands on the walls instead of water. It seems like this problem started when replacing the round ring under the toilet a few years ago, but not sure. What can I do to raise the amount of water in the bowl? :eek: Thanks

I have a 1.6 Toto that was installed when I bought the house 3 years ago.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

If the toilet came with the house, it could be one of several models.
If you have a black tube from the fill valve on the left, going to the overflow tube on the right, make sure that the water is going inside the tube. This is what refills the bowl.

Construct30

Reaction score
Terry knows the Toto, I didn't know if it filled that way or not, make sure water comes out the hose when you flush the toilet, I had a different brand that something didn't work right in the fill valve and water didn't come out the hose at all, but it did fill the tank.

Last edited:

Construct30

Reaction score
I'm surprised by the picture of the inside of the toto tank, I expected all kinds of strange alien technology. It looks familiar. I can't get a look at one around here.

How's the quality control as far as firing cracks and other things that have plagued us?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm surprised by the picture of the inside of the toto tank, I expected all kinds of strange alien technology. It looks familiar. I can't get a look at one around here.

How's the quality control as far as firing cracks and other things that have plagued us?

I have installed many and have not had 1 issue yet!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sell all the brands.
Toto by far has the best manufacturing techniques and quality control.

Of the thousands I sell every year, there are almost no problems.
I can't say that for the other brands I sell.

Well Newbie

Reaction score
Terry know the Toto, I didn't know if it filled that way or not, make sure water comes out the hose when you flush the toilet, I had a different brand that something didn't work right in the fill valve and water didn't come out the hose at all, but it did fill the tank.

There's a little valve and nothing is coming out of it and the tank fills up. There's no hose from the valve to the pipe. Even when I hold down the float to raise the water for constant water feed into the pipe, the bowl does not fill up? Could it be leaking? My bowl sits on top of one of those big box store plastic sewage systems with a brand new little giant pump. Thanks :confused:

Construct30

Reaction score
Terry do you have a picture of that one? Do they have different technology like that? The picture you posted looked like the other toilets I'm used to, what he is saying sounds different. Paul412 can you post a picture of yours.

Terry should know all the different models, he is good with the toto's, I can't even find one to get a look at. I love the pictures, I hate to look like an idiot the first time I run into one, it's bad enough here.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I seem to recall Sterling (subsidiary of Kohler) toilets not having a tube from the fill valve to the overflow tube. You cannot hold down the float on a Toto unless you open the top of the valve - you could, however, on a Sterling.

Well Newbie

Reaction score
When the tank is full and I push down on the float, water runs into the pipe, but does not fill the bowl. :eek:

Picture is of a Toto Carusoe tank. The fill valve does not have a hose that fills the bowl.
The outlet for a hose on this fill valve is plugged at the factory.

When flushed, there should be enough water in the bowl, without the fill hose.
If you add water to the bowl with a bucket, does the water level set higher? Added by Terry

Attachments

• DSC08317.JPG
    DSC08317.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 669
Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
1. You are missing the plastic tube which goes to the blue nipple on the fill valve and then clips onto the overflow tube.

2. The water level in the tank is too high - should be about 1" below the top of the overflow tube -

Grazzy

Reaction score
it appears you are missing the rubber line between the ballcock and the flush valve. as terry says, that line would fill the bowl. do you have a stream of water shooting sideways from the ballcock out that blue point?

Well Newbie

Reaction score
No water comes out of the blue valve that you say is missing the hose. The tank water level is well below the overflow pipe, I raised it manually by pushing down on the float. It flushes fine, but very little water inside the toilet bowl. :confused:

Grazzy

Reaction score
then the fill valve must be stopped up at the nipple. there's no other way for the bowl to fill but through that tube at the flush valve. replace the fill valve and you'll be in business.

Last edited:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
That's not a Sterling toilet, but that is the type of fill valve they have, with no opening on the small outlet. I'm wondering if the flapper's been changed - some toilets are supposed to simply put out enough water to refill the bowl (like Sterling) without using the overflow.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
BTW - using either chlorine tablets or that blue gunk in the tank will greatly reduce the life of rubber parts in the tank. In addition, the blue dye gets all over everything in the room when somebody tries to work on the tank. Ick.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Picture is of a Toto Carusoe tank. The fill valve does not have a hose that fills the bowl.
The outlet for a hose on this fill valve is plugged at the factory.

When flushed, there should be enough water in the bowl, without the fill hose.
If you add water to the bowl with a bucket, does the water level set higher? Terry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks