Raising sink drain pipes to fit new vanity plumbing area

Users who are viewing this thread

DiyBenny

Reaction score
I have a dual sink vanity to install in my bathroom. The problem that I realize is the drain pipes coming from the wall are not high enough to fit into the vanity plumbing space and meet the p-trap.

I have attached some images of the plumbing and one sketch with 2 options of how I might go about solving the problem.

Option 1 - Install a new sanitary tee that is higher and route the drain pipes

Option 2 - Install a new sanitary tee that is higher and route the drain pipes and connect the old pipes to the new ones. The advantage I get out of this is that I can have the new pipe fitting (coming out of the wall to the p-trap) at any height without the water line getting in the way.

Suggestions or comments? Any other considerations ?

Thanks

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 5,279
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 4,680
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 6,688
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 4,801

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The trap arms can grade at 2% ( 1/4" per foot )
That means you should open the wall and raise the fitting there, redrill the wall for new trap arms.

double_lav_rough_2.jpg

Either that, or install an AAV for each trap to break siphon. You may as well open the wall while you can though and replumb the lavs.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You can also use a slip joint extension tube and not have to do anything in the wall.
Never mind just looked at the pictures again did not see the shelf the first time.

Attachments

• sj tube.jpg
    sj tube.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 4,165

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Would be a lot easier to cut a hole on the cabinet shelf and drop the pipe there - rather than cutting up and relocating the piping in the wall? It looks like the pipe at the wall is below the shelve height.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's pretty normal to raise the rough for the new cabinets with legs and shelving. The tops are higher and the lower part is raised.
The p-trap has that nice bend and hits the drawers if not raised. You can sometimes notch, but it's not as nice as fixing what you have in the wall.

Last edited:

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's pretty normal to raise the rough for the new cabinets with legs and shelving. The tops are higher and the lower part is raised.
The p-trap has that nice bend and hits the drawers if not raised. You can sometimes notch, but it's not as nice as fixing what you have in the wall.
Lots of my vanity hieghts are way up there to. I'm in the 3o inch range. Sucks when they don't know what there getting when you rough It in

Reach4

Reaction score
Lots of my vanity hieghts are way up there to. I'm in the 3o inch range. Sucks when they don't know what there getting when you rough It in
Does anybody ever put in 2 sanitary tees, one above the other?

I could picture a pair of santees that could take either a threaded plug or a threaded trap adapter. One could serve as a cleanout and the other as the trap arm connection. Perhaps both could be behind drywall with the expectation that one would be opened up.

I guess it would be too much for the sellers to label the vanities as to what height trap arms they accept.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks