Raised shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven JP

Reaction score
How can I support a raised shower pan and have the tile be flush. I've posted an example of what I am trying to do and then a picture of my shower pan. What I'm trying to figure out is how does the outer end of the pan get supported. Does it just barely sit on the tile and that supports it? I would think if someone stepped on the curb it would put all of someones weight on the tile and it would eventually crack or it would be transfering the weight to the styrofoam that makes up the base. I don't want to extend it out with a step because its only going to be raised 3 inches.

Attachments

• 9c62ac088a080db6679193d0902dda76.jpg
    9c62ac088a080db6679193d0902dda76.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 648
  • img_0628.jpg
    img_0628.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 289
  • 20200217_164529.jpg
    20200217_164529.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 252
Reaction score
How can I support a raised shower pan and have the tile be flush. I've posted an example of what I am trying to do and then a picture of my shower pan. What I'm trying to figure out is how does the outer end of the pan get supported. Does it just barely sit on the tile and that supports it? I would think if someone stepped on the curb it would put all of someones weight on the tile and it would eventually crack or it would be transfering the weight to the styrofoam that makes up the base. I don't want to extend it out with a step because its only going to be raised 3 inches.

Reaction score
I would remove the foam and replace with pvc trim material like Azek. Glue it in place with PL3 adhesive. Set the front edge of the pvc board back from the leading edge of the pan to make depth for the tile install.

Put a very large bead of the adhesive between top edge of the pvc board and the underside of the lip region. It'll harden and become a formed shim if you will.

Steven JP

Reaction score
I would remove the foam and replace with pvc trim material like Azek. Glue it in place with PL3 adhesive. Set the front edge of the pvc board back from the leading edge of the pan to make depth for the tile install.

Put a very large bead of the adhesive between top edge of the pvc board and the underside of the lip region. It'll harden and become a formed shim if you will.

That's not a bad idea. That foam is really in there. Seems like it is glued in there. I would hate to get to ripping it out and it just turns into a mess and then I've just ruined my shower pan. It seems like a bad design to begin with but that's what you get when you order online. Are you talking about completing filling in the void the removed foam would leave or just one piece of trim up holding the whole threshold up?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks