Raise P trap

Users who are viewing this thread

mfran12345

Reaction score
hi. I was wondering if there's a way to raise the P trap in the sink so it doesn't hit the shelf of the vanity. The wasteline from the wall is too low so the trap sits too low. I can't move the wasteline up which would be the best solution. Are there any other options? If I use a 90 to take the waste line up that would create a "s trap" which is bad from what I read. I saw something online about using the 90 to go up. Then a t fitting with a vent at the top, but I don't fully understand that. I'm a diyer trying to figure this out for myself. It won't be officially inspected, but I want it to be safe. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5142.JPG
    IMG_5142.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 542

Atomic1

Reaction score
Without raising the rough outlet height, you'd create an S-trap. I dont think you have many options other than cutting into the wall to try and raise that outlet height. Most folks have the opposite problem when they go to a deeper sink or add a disposal and the rough outlet is too high....just your luck egh?

mfran12345

Reaction score
an elbow up into a Tee with an automatic air vent on top and the trap into the side would do it.

Thanks for the replies. It's a crude phone sketch, but you mean something like this? I saw Tudor mini vents online at Home Depot. Is that what you mean as well? Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_5144.jpg
    IMG_5144.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 379

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hi,
New here. Can you provide a quick explanation as to why the vent is needed in the new arrangement? Is it so the water doesn't siphon out of the P-trap?

Yes, venting is to prevent siphoning of the trap, your guardianship against smelly sewer gas. Without all those vents popping through the roof of a home, your house would be a very smelly place.

low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks