Rainwater/Well Combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Blacktail

Reaction score
Hello...new here. We have a 260' well that produces great water but not alot of it. I am currently devising a system of ibc totes to harvest rainwater off of my metal roof shop. These totes will fill a 500 gal. black tank thats inside the shop via transfer pump and thru a filtering setup. The well can also fill the 500gal. tank but the well just doesnt have the output to maintain it. So at the filters it will be a dual in dual out with valves ie Totes and well to inlet filter and filter outlet tote/well to black tank and or well to pressure tank. Once the black tank is full a 1hp shallow well pump with 30/50 switch will pump water from black tank to feed the pressure tank (30/50). I plan to install a uv light between the pressure tank and house for obvious reasons. My question is this ok to install the uv light after the pressure tank or should it be before. Hope this isnt to confusing. Would be nice to actually do laundry or have a garden etc. Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even just 1 GPM from a well is 1440 gallons a day if you have the storage. Rain water is a good alternative if the well is not producing enough. Installed before a pressure tank the UV light will always see max pump flow. Installed after the pressure tank the UV light will only see as much flow as you are using at any given time.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Blacktail

Reaction score
Even just 1 GPM from a well is 1440 gallons a day if you have the storage. Rain water is a good alternative if the well is not producing enough. Installed before a pressure tank the UV light will always see max pump flow. Installed after the pressure tank the UV light will only see as much flow as you are using at any given time.

View attachment 70993[/QUOTE Thank you for the diagram and response. Yes i have thought about the float switch etc. There would need to be some sort of pressure loss switch related to the well pump to tell it to shut off when it senses pressure loss from running low. Even at trying to maintain the float level in the tank via the well it would just not be reliable for high volume usage. Sadly, we can take a shower or two maybe do some dishes maybe a small load of laundry but thats it. I think with the tote system we will be fine up until the fall months but even at that 1 good rain and i have full totes again. And from the totes and transfer pump we can wash vehicles water garden etc.

Forgive me as im not a plumber but is your recommendation on the uv light install before or after pressure tank? or does it matter. My thought was to zap the final stage of water coming to the house. Thanks so much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks