Rainsoft?

Users who are viewing this thread

lab913

Reaction score
Hello, I had a rainsoft salesman come show me how terrible my water was yesterday and it scared me. I know I have hard water and it irritates my sons skin, so this seemed like a lifesaver. But not for 5000$. I know nothing about plumbing or water treatment. I have done a bit of research but it is mostly foreign to me. I told him I would call him back today sometime and let him know what I decided. I think it is somewhat silly I can't try the product for a few weeks to see if it's something I'd like to throw that much money at. I don't want to lose water pressure in my home either. He recommended the carbon filter and rainsoft filter with the digital screen. Help, don't let me do something stupid lol!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
While you do need a water softener, you DO NOT need one from a "snake oil salesman". They will also offer "free installation" and $xxx.xx a month terms. By the time you are done you will pay twice what he quoted and several times what a plumber would furnish and install it for. He "scared you", because that is what they want to do so you will buy it on the spot, without checking. If you had he probably had a crew around the corner to install it before you could change your mind.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want a more economical solution, that will be easy to achieve. The probability is that you will be able to get a quality softener installed for under $1500 (maybe significantly less), but it would be unusual to need more than $2000 for a softener. If you need to deal with colors or smells with your water, that could cost more. Installation of a softener might run $300 plus maybe some extra parts from a plumber. Regarding a backwashing carbon filter, that would not double the price. If you have a well, think about at least a sediment filter installed at the same time. Conditions could warrant more. Prices and conditions can vary of course. I am not a pro, so I am not offering to do installations or sell equipment myself.

You want to know things about the water to pick the right device. Hardness and the water use (number of people primarily) are significant factors. Well water? If so, a water test for your raw water would be worthwhile. http://www.watercheck.com/ Expect it to take a month or more, so get moving. Yes, $150 roughly sounds high, but it is a good idea-- especially to test for unexpected bad things as well as the basic hardness, pH, iron, manganese etc. For self-testing of just hardness, you should get the Hach 5-b hardness test. If it is city water, you should be able to get the info from your local water department/company.

What do you know about your water already? What solutions have worked nicely for your neighbors?

lab913

Reaction score
I am on city water and our main problem is that it is hard and dries out my sons skin. Also it seems it doesn't rinse the detergent out of the clothes well enough, which also messes with his skin. No smells, no colors. Just hard water. The ph was normal, the chlorine I'm not fond of, but we don't drink water from the tap, the refrigerator has a filter on it. I'd love to be pointed in the right direction. I don't really even know what to tell the salesman as far as "no thank you", afraid he will combat my no with an argument of how poor my water quality is. They did say, if I found someone with a "lifetime warranty" and a "product that does what theirs does" for cheaper they would match that price, however, their service/warranty doesn't sound too great from what I've read.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am on city water and our main problem is that it is hard and dries out my sons skin. Also it seems it doesn't rinse the detergent out of the clothes well enough, which also messes with his skin. No smells, no colors. Just hard water. The ph was normal, the chlorine I'm not fond of, but we don't drink water from the tap, the refrigerator has a filter on it. I'd love to be pointed in the right direction. I don't really even know what to tell the salesman as far as "no thank you", afraid he will combat my no with an argument of how poor my water quality is. They did say, if I found someone with a "lifetime warranty" and a "product that does what theirs does" for cheaper they would match that price, however, their service/warranty doesn't sound too great from what I've read.

I think you have the right words. Thanks for their efforts, but no thanks. I suggest that you do it by phone.

You want to buy a solution after some research rather than being sold a solution. It is better to have a non-proprietary system if you want to be economical. http://www.softenerparts.com/Clack_Culligan_Rainsoft_s/3.htm

Do you have a link to the water test for your town? Or what town is it? Maybe we can find the numbers posted. If it is not on the web, call the water department and ask the numbers. The main number to ask is hardness. The number may be in grains per gallon, parts per million, or mg/L. Since you are on chlorinated water, you don't have a problem with iron or manganese.

MrStop

Reaction score
I don't really even know what to tell the salesman as far as "no thank you", afraid he will combat my no with an argument of how poor my water quality is. They did say, if I found someone with a "lifetime warranty" and a "product that does what theirs does" for cheaper they would match that price, however, their service/warranty doesn't sound too great from what I've read.

I remember a rainsoft guy coming by to give us a pitch when we bought our first home. He was slick. Put the fear of how bad our water is and how much we can "save" if we spent thousands on their equipment. But it would only cost $x per month. We signed that day, but I got smart and cancelled before the install via phone. Chances are when you call their office you will speak to someone other than the sales person. Don't feel bad, I'm sure they are pretty use to it...

As to the lifetime warranty, you could probably go through 5 other units before you would breakeven.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Before you do anything, check with your local health department about the regulations concerning the backwash discharge.
Here in Ct, it is against regulations to discharge into a septic, gutter drain or footing drain. Backwash has to go into a dedicated dry well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks