Rainbird CP075 solenoid valve not working - constant water flow

Users who are viewing this thread

jw11432

Reaction score
So this is a very simple circuit I'm working on, it's literally a water line going straight to the valve. I am not trying to setup a sprinkler system, it's another project, but for all intents and purposes, this is nothing more than a water line from the outside faucet going to the valve.

The problem I have is that the valve is not stopping water from flowing through. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't water only flow when the solenoid is energized? I don't have any electrical hooked up yet. I assumed a bad valve, so I returned it to Lowes only to have the exact same problem with the replacement. I considered that maybe my water pressure was too high, so I checked with a gauge and it's around the ~72 psi mark, and this valve is rated for upwards of 150 psi.

Am I misinformed with how this works, or am I missing something else? Wondering if I've happened upon a store with a bad batch of valves.

MKS

Reaction score
Installed 8 1.5 inch rainnbird valves today. I read that your valve like mine has a vent. Directions say to open them before normal operation. Directions said if this vent is open the valve is opened also. So maybe read up on them and check the vent screw. Yours looks much different than the ones I piddled around with.
These replaced valves from 1969. We made new manifolds from non dvw pvc. I had the option of leaving one of three openings open to flush pvc cement out also before operating the valves, that may been floating in residual water.
They all worked.

Last edited:

jw11432

Reaction score
I went through the directions in their entirety, but only found reference to a bleeder screw. It did say to open that and allow water to flow for a full minute so as to flush out small debris so it wouldn't clog/jam the main valve. Even when I had the bleeder screw out and water flowing, the main outflow was flowing as well. I assume the bleeder is what you meant when you referred to vent screw?

MKS

Reaction score
I looked at the downloads. Looks like the solenoid turns for manual operation. May want to check that.

jw11432

Reaction score
No idea what the problem was, but I'm pretty sure it's the product and not user-error, so I returned it and went and bought an Orbit brand valve and it is working exactly as I intend. Need to test it still by energizing solenoid, but at least it's holding water back.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
No idea what the problem was, but I'm pretty sure it's the product and not user-error, so I returned it and went and bought an Orbit brand valve and it is working exactly as I intend. Need to test it still by energizing solenoid, but at least it's holding water back.

This is the best video I have ever found and I reference it alot here on this forum. It answers the mystery of how irrigation valves work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks