Rainbird 600 sprinklers won't pop up

Users who are viewing this thread

Lige

Reaction score
I read the other 'no pop up' posts and you say the cause is low pressure. This is a new install. Simple 3/4" pvc for 25' with 5 T's for the 5 new rainbirds. I have 75 psi at outside Woodford 17 faucet (yes, I cranked it up from 50). I also have almost 7 gpm flow at same faucet. I have a similar install at another house with 7 sprinklers that work perfectly...I am puzzled.

thanks in advance,
Lige

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A new install! Pull up on the riser, may have to use a tool to get under the sprinkler head, and pull the riser up and hold it. Then screw off the sprinkler head and you'll see a thimble shape filter (#3 below). Behind it is full of mud and other debris. All common with new install. Usually you want to first flush the pipes without sprinkler heads on. Part #4 are factory installed with more pricier pop ups such as Toro and Hunter. After the install these heads have no filters and large openings to flush the system before installing the desire heads.

You need part #3 (many do not have part #2) if you want to adjust the spray. On top is a slotted screw and as you turn it, the other end is a Philips head that turns down into the filter and limits the water flow.

to_570z_parts_breakdown.jpg

upload_2019-3-29_21-15-1.png

Last edited:

Lige

Reaction score
Thanks Worth,
I flushed before installing sprinklers. Nothing inside, removed filters to see if that was a restriction....no joy. Got some caps and will remove and cap sprinklers and put pressure guage on end to test for leaks. Jeeze, this thing is killing me getting beat to death driving to Ace and buying one more special fitting. Getting close to bypassing and just use hose and sprinklers like I have for last 5 years. Yuck...
Lige

A new install! Pull up on the riser, may have to use a tool to get under the sprinkler head, and pull the riser up and hold it. Then screw off the sprinkler head and you'll see a thimble shape filter (#3 below). Behind it is full of mud and other debris. All common with new install. Usually you want to first flush the pipes without sprinkler heads on. Part #4 are factory installed with more pricier pop ups such as Toro and Hunter. After the install these heads have no filters and large openings to flush the system before installing the desire heads.

You need part #3 (many do not have part #2) if you want to adjust the spray. On top is a slotted screw and as you turn it, the other end is a Philips head that turns down into the filter and limits the water flow.

to_570z_parts_breakdown.jpg

View attachment 52513

Lige

Reaction score
BTW....I love hawks. We have Coopers, Sharp Shin and some Harriers that make their living inside the city. Out in the country the red tails rule. Great horned owls are also common inside the city.
cheers,
Lige

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
When no pops up occurs is there any water trickling out of the nozzle? What brand and model is the sprinkler?

May have to dig deeper. First, remove a sprinkler & filter head only and turn on the water. A clear pipe you be shooting water about 10-12 ft up in the air. If not, and I had it happen, a stone was lodged in an elbow. Drove me nuts for a while. If it does go high it could be a bad batch of sprinklers though I never had it happen before.

This hawk has been around for a few years and there are several. This one was in the tree right behind my house over the bird feeders. A few weeks before he was feasting on a morning dove. I had just got a new Nikon SLR digital camera with 300 MM telephoto lens. I was standing about 10 feet from it. A beautiful bird.

Last edited:

Lige

Reaction score
George,
Thanks for your advise. I removed one of the 5 sprinklers and I have just enough spray to cover 90% of the yard (still no popup). I will use some of the drip line to cover the last part. Still not sure why the original plan didn't work but I am tired of messing with it. Better things to do now that it is not snowing....ha.
cheers,
Lige

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks