Rain water harvesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Dajack2125

Reaction score
Hello, I purchased some IBC totes for harvesting rainwater. This water will be used only for watering the garden, trees, shrubs, plants around our house. I was using just gravity feed, but would like to install a pump for better water distribution. The pump I would like to use would be connected directly to the outlet valve on the tote with a garden hose adapter on the discharge side of the pump. Ideally I would like to have a pressure switch on the pump so when I turn the hose off the pump shuts off. Also, I am not sure whether I would need a pressure tank or not. Your input and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No more water than you can get out of totes, you can just use an RV type pump and run off a 12V battery. If you use very much water or the little RV pump doesn't last long, you can go to a regular jet pump/pressure switch/pressure tank.
Jet pump and PK1A.jpeg

Dajack2125

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back. The piping on the left side of of picture that is going into the ground on the front of the pump. Is that where I would make my connection to my totes? Then on top of pump is where I would connect my fitting for my garden hose?
I tried a little 12v pump, and as you said, it doesn't work very well. Thanks again

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes , the line at the bottom left is the suction line that would connect to your tote. The pipe going up after the CSV would be where you install spigots for use of the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks