Rain Bird ESP-M Controller Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

etsherman

Reporter
Reaction score
I have a 7 zone Rain Bird ESP-M controller in my sprinkler system setup that is approx. 15 years old. I've never had any problems with it electronically until recently (about 2 weeks ago). I notice that the valve on zone 1 was not opening when the controller activated that zone. I can manually open the valve and it works. Also, I can disconnect the common and line 1 from the control box and connect them to a 24 volt power source and the valve will open.

If you notice in the attached picture, the line for valve 1 is connected to zone 2 on the control panel and the line for valve 2 is connected to zone 1 on the control panel. That's the only way to get valve one to open properly using the controller. I can connect the line for valve 2 to either zones on the controller and it will work. However, the line for valve 1 will only work when connected to zone 2 on the controller. This is what I am trying to figure out ... why is this happening.

I also notice during testing that valve 3 probably was not opening (coverage area seemed to be drier than others) and I visibly saw the controller advanced to that zone for which nothing happened. I removed the module and reinserted it making sure it was securely locked in place. Zone 3 now seems to be working consistently but zone 1 still will not work unless connected to zone 2 on the controller.

I can run it like this but that just seems kind of odd to me. Just trying to see if it is something simple before I decide to purchase a new controller. It's probably not worth trying to fix this one as a new 9 zone controller online sells for $60.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_5548.JPG
    IMG_5548.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 1,262
Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Module 1 is bad and the solenoids between the zone 1 and 2 have different internal resistance. The zone one module (1) probably can not provide the voltage needed to operate the solenoid.

Move zone wires 1, 2 and 3 to the third module zones 7, 8 and 9. Reprogram the controller for zones 4-9 only.

etsherman

Reporter
Reaction score
Module 1 is bad and the solenoids between the zone 1 and 2 have different internal resistance. The zone one module (1) probably can not provide the voltage needed to operate the solenoid.

Move zone wires 1, 2 and 3 to the third module zones 7, 8 and 9. Reprogram the controller for zones 4-9 only.

Much appreciated reply and thanks for the explanation. I will do that ... move wires 1, 2 and 3 to the third module then reprogram for zones 4-9.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks