Radiant Heat If existing home directly on slab

Users who are viewing this thread

b gordo

Reaction score
Currently there are tiles installed directly on the concrete slab for half of the home, the other half has a basement.

Does it make any sense to retrofit water radiant heat on a home when existing floors are on a slab?

First obvious issue is the 1" or more you'll lose for the pex layer and track going above the slab.

But perhaps a bigger issue is whether hyrdonic on top of a slab makes any sense as far as heat transfer. I'm concerned that you'd be paying to heat the slab, and thus the ground under the house.

Any thoughts, or links to independent reviews are appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On new construction, they may have insulated below the slab which should help...otherwise, especially if the ground underneath the slab is wet, it will suck up a lot of your heat. Radiant in-floor heating is nice since it is so even and does not restrict furniture placement. Radiant in the ceiling can work.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
My new garage, styrofoam foundation forms & 2" foam board with Pex for radiant heat

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 203
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks