R10000 Solder Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I'm installing a brand new Delta R10000 rough-in valve.

I'm not impressed by the instructions, since I'm using copper they expect me to stub out of the wall, shove my acrylic tub/shower into position and then solder the o-ring/thread adapter onto the copper stub out...

Why would I want to do that, I can't see any reason why I should do that instead of using a fip drop ear elbow just like my shower head and use the correct length nipple...?

Any spout I've ever worked on in an existing bathroom has a nipple there, not a soldered connection...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
a) Most of those Delta spouts have an option to screw that adapter onto a 1/2" ips nipple.
b) The hole in the acrylic does not have to be that cute. Solder the adapter on first, then slide on the acrylic.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
It does have threads inside the adapter as well, I plan to use a brass nipple, I'm just not fond of soldering it on after the fact like they state, and having a soldered ell inside the wall.

Am I crazy?

I'd like it to be somewhat serviceable, but maybe I'm being difficult.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well..........either the brass nipple or the 1/2" copper will do fine.
The 1/2" copper pointing down can also use a copper sweat drop ear for the brass nipple pointing out. You could thread the nipple in after the wall goes up.

What they don't want to see is PEX with a PEX drop ear. That little combination would force water out of the shower head while filling the tub.

If you solder on the Delta adapter afterwards, you can solder the end away from the wall.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
The 1/2" copper pointing down can also use a copper sweat drop ear for the brass nipple pointing out. You could thread the nipple in after the wall goes up.

That is what I plan to do.

I don't feel I need to solder any of the connections after the drop ear.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That fitting can either take 1/2" copper , which you solder, or the threaded nipple which you do NOT. Teflon tape only. Make the hole in the acryling large enough to slide over that fitting, OR screw the nipple into a threaded drop ear, after you install the tub wall.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
That fitting can either take 1/2" copper , which you solder, or the threaded nipple which you do NOT. Teflon tape only. Make the hole in the acryling large enough to slide over that fitting, OR screw the nipple into a threaded drop ear, after you install the tub wall.

Yep, sounds good.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The do NOT "expect you to do" anything. The adapter is Multifunction just like the valve body. You can screw it to a brass nipple or solder it to a copper stub out, whichever is easier. AND, you do NOT have to solder it AGAINST the shower wall. You can move the adapter away from the wall, but even if you DID put it against the wall, the soldering is done at the "far end" of the adapter so you should NOT damage the wall unless your soldering technique is very sloppy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks