R/O check valve making noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Idoc4u

Reaction score
In November of 2019 I installed a Watts Pure Water R/O system with permeate pump under a kitchen sink. The faucet was getting very noisy with hissing from the weep hole/overflow so I converted to a bipass with check valve in July of 2020. The check valve has become progressively noisier with a fairly loud humming/vibrating noise and you can hear hissing from the sink drain as the R/O faucet drains. We do have calcium in our water, but the water isn't extremely hard. The check valve is a year and a half old. Is it common for the check valves to make noise and or fail this quickly? I only hear the noises when the tank is refilling and the water is draining but I can hear the humming/vibrating and hissing from 20ft away. Do I just chalk it up to the nature of these R/O systems and deal with changing the valve every year or two as well as cleaning out the drain tube? Thanks!
R-O.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What type of check valve is it? Your picture doesn't show anything that I recognize to be a check valve. Is this some kind of speciality designed valves?

Idoc4u

Reaction score
In the back of the picture (closer to the top of the pic) where the 1/4" check valve connects the red and green tube. That is the Watts/Pure Water 1/4" check valve used with the bipass method. The red tube then leads to a coupling that leads to the black tube and into the saddle drain.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the back of the picture (closer to the top of the pic) where the 1/4" check valve connects the red and green tube. That is the Watts/Pure Water 1/4" check valve used with the bipass method. The red tube then leads to a coupling that leads to the black tube and into the saddle drain.
What your describing sounds like velocity noise. Are you getting plenty of volume? If so I'd get a little valve to put after the check valve. Then turn it down to try to slow it down. That's thr only thing I can think of. On a different type of check valve some people would drill a hole in the flapper. That's not applicable here. It's not really a good solution anyway.

Idoc4u

Reaction score
When I first installed the valve, the noise was very subtle. For sure, that sound was velocity related; a faint hum as water passed through. The noise has increased significantly over time which leads me to believe that possibly there are mineral deposits in the valve. Obviously, I'm guessing. I'd only know for sure by replacing the valve.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I first installed the valve, the noise was very subtle. For sure, that sound was velocity related; a faint hum as water passed through. The noise has increased significantly over time which leads me to believe that possibly there are mineral deposits in the valve. Obviously, I'm guessing. I'd only know for sure by replacing the valve.
The velocity is increased by mineral deposits. The smaller the opening the faster the water will try to get through.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks