Quote Sanity Check

Users who are viewing this thread

Chad_H

Reaction score
We just purchased a home with PB piping and was planning to re-pipe the entire house. I was planning to attempt to re-pipe the house myself but decided against it since we've got several other projects going at the same time.

We got three quotes for replacing with CPVC; two included patching and re-painting any damaged drywall and and one company quoted us a price with no repairs; we also got a quote for a PEX re-pipe from the third contractor.

I felt like all the quotes for CPVC were comperable and fairly close given the experience and scope of each quote; however, based on my research into PEX, I expected that quote to be much less based on the lower cost of pipe and the ease of installation relative to CPVC. We already have the sub-floor pulled up on the main level for an unrelated project so the PEX install should be a breeze.

Am I that far off base to think that the PEX quote is way higher than it should be?

Home description 2 story colonial approximately 1900 sqft w/ finished basement.
  • Two full baths upstairs with tub/shower combo and single vanity in one and a tub/separate shower in the other and a double vanity in the other.
  • Half bath, kitchen, washer, and dishwasher on main level
  • Full bath with tub/show combo and single vanity in basement

• Contractor 1: $7,900 CPVC (was the original contractors approved in MD to replace PB under the class-action suite includes repairs to drywall and painting)
  • Contractor 2: $7,200 CPVC (includes repairs to drywall and painting)
  • Contractor 3: $6,400 CPVC (no drywall repairs or painting)
  • Contractor 3: $6,800 Viega PEX (Home run configuration)

Reach4

Reaction score
Home run costs more than branches. PEX needs to be supported every 32 inches. It is 48 or maybe more for CPVC.

I don't know that CPVC is more expensive for materials.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks