Quieting Noisy Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

The condensate pump for the furnace runs through the attic and down into the laundry room. A clear tube runs through the cabinets and drains into the laundry tub.

The sound I'm hearing is the water moving down the drain from the sink not the water coming from the clear tube.

Is there anyway to make it drain quieter?

Thanks

Tom

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume this is like the proverbial "Chinese water torture". Drip, drip, drip, drip.....

I can think of 3 alternatives: Push the tube further down into the drain; tie the tube into the drain from under the laundry tub; drain it somewhere else, like outside.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Actually it isn't the drip-drip type. It just the normal sound of the laundry draining into the tub.

I haven't considered running the tube down into the drain. If this is a complete oversite by me then I just didn't see that it would solve the problem.

The washing machine drains into the laundry tub. Would shoving a clear pvc tubing into the laundry tub drain affect the laundry tubs ability to drain the waste water from the washing machine?

Thanks

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not a great idea to run the drain line into the sink's drain, but technically it might be okay. Mine runs into my standpipe for the CW. Is it the volume of the water splashing on things? Could you use some wire, maybe from say a clothes hanger and direct it against the side? If the drain gurgles, I wonder if it is vented properly. I run the condensate from the a/c outside, but that isn't a great idea for the boiler in the winter, so that one is pumped into the drain.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have forced air but I am on a slab. I need to get a new more efficient boiler.

TT

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks