Quiet Drain Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
If using CI pipe vs. PVC is best for reducing noise in the main stack, is there any reason I would want PVC sink/shower drains running to the main stack?

I'll be replacing all my bathroom plumbing (kitchen is below), and am thinking to use brass drain pipes as I've heard enough negative stories about the popping and cracking when running hot water through PVC.

Am I missing something?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
CI is excellent, but expensive, so we all use ABS (or PVC). Under the sink I use plastic parts...metal parts corrode around the traps.

I once built a custom home and the h/o wanted "built in CI spouts" for the gutters... so they would be out of view. I never said no.

Reaction score
So you think anything other than PVC is overkill for the lateral sink/shower drains? I'm really against the popping/cracking noises from expanding PVC, if I didn't want to use PVC what would you suggest?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
So you think anything other than PVC is overkill for the lateral sink/shower drains? I'm really against the popping/cracking noises from expanding PVC, if I didn't want to use PVC what would you suggest?
The noises you hear from PVC pipe from expansion and contraction is because it was roughed in tight where it went through studs or joists and is rubbing against the wood not from the pipe itself.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes - way overkill. Even in multi-million dollar homes, the common practice is to install cast iron drops for noise reduction. Overhead, if you're really concerned, it would be easier and cheaper just to insulate the interior walls around where your plumbing pipes are running. That will address your noise concerns overhead and allow easy removal of insulation to access easy to the pipes if there are ever service issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks