Quick toilet drain slope question

Users who are viewing this thread

JuanSigned

Reaction score
I just put in a new toilet drain line that measures 78" horizontal. Using my trusty fractions calculator I figured that a 1/4" per foot drop should be 1 5/8". However my final slope ended up being 1 3/8", so basically its off by 1/4" over the entire 78" length. The interwebs are confusing, some say 1/4" per foot is the minimum others say 1/8" I'm closer to 1/4 that 1/8, but it's still off.

Is this enough of a problem to warrant tearing it out and doing it over?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's 1/4" minimum.

1 inspector out of say 10 will fail you and will ask to see 1/4" slope all the way. Don't forget that plastic pipes have slight curves, something else to worry about.

JuanSigned

Reaction score
It's 1/4" minimum.

1 inspector out of say 10 will fail you and will ask to see 1/4" slope all the way. Don't forget that plastic pipes have slight curves, something else to worry about.
The point about the pipe having curves is well taken. When I bought the pipe I picked out the straightest piece from the pile, but I've never seen one that was perfectly straight. So there must be an acceptable range of slopes from 1/4" to ?/?" to account for those unavoidable curves.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know, but you might consider adding extra hangers to avoid sag. Perhaps you can lay a laser pointer along side and detect any sags.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On 4" and larger, you can get away with slightly less slope...don't think I'd try it with 3".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks