Quick question - shower valve access

Users who are viewing this thread

VikkiP

Reaction score
We are installing Delta front-cartridge thermostatic shower valves in a new shower construction. Plumber insists that the shower valve has to be relocated to the back wall of the shower (requiring the user to either step in and get a cold shower until the water warms, or get a wet head and shoulders) because an access panel is required behind the valve. Well, there is nothing behind the valve body but a 2x4. All connections are on the sides, top and bottom of the valve body. The relocation now has many more potential points of leakage due to PEX elbows and clamps, and none will be accessible through the access panel. Thoughts? Does code REQUIRE an access panel behind a valve that has no rear serviceable parts? And no, it's not for shutoff access. They didn't install any, and the access panel is right behind the valve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When did people start putting access panels behind shower valves? Is this a standard now?
I have never had an access behind a shower valve. All of the servicing comes from the front where the handle is. I also put the shower valve where it's easy to reach without getting wet.

delta_multichoice.jpg

delta-lahara-08.jpg

Last edited:

VikkiP

Reaction score
The valve is just like that. They refuse to install it where the architect specified because there is a chimney behind the framing behind that space. First photo: to architect spec. Second photo: plumber moved it. Note: it's a lined chimney, masonry clearance or lack of is approved.

Attachments

• 2019-08-15.jpg
    2019-08-15.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 483
  • 2019-08-16.jpg
    2019-08-16.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 377

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
An access panel behind the shower valve is not required. Sounds to me like your plumber is nervous about setting the valve at the correct depth. Personally, I have had several bad experiences with setting shower valves, assuming ½” drywall + ½” tile & mortar. Sometimes the tiler goes nuts with mortar, usually to compensate for a poor, out-of-square framing job. This pushes the finished wall out more than expected, and sometimes it’s so much that it becomes too deep to get the trim onto the valve. In this case, access from the rear becomes invaluable.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have NEVER installed a faucet/valve with an access panel behind it. They are ALL seviceable from inside the room and the only reason for an access door would be to repair a faulty installation. In addition, you can put the faucet ANYWHERE YOU WANT IT, and then pipe to the locations for the heads.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
A good/popular shower valve such as delta will always have parts available to fix it. I rarly ever change delta shower/tub cartridges. The Only time I put access panels in... is cause I changed out an old one from behind and im not a drywaller

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks