Quick question about Hardiboard

Users who are viewing this thread

SwannanoaSam

Carpenter/Handyman
Reaction score
I'm laying down a lot of 1/4" hardiboard with thinset underneath, and I'm wondering if the tile guy can start tiling as soon as i finish screwing down the piece, or does he need to wait for the thinset underneath the hardiboard to dry?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No need to wait. The thinset is just to fill voids and ensure the cbu is fully supported...the nails or screws hold it in place. Tile away.

Now, if it were the tiles on top of it, that's a different story, as there'd be no screws holding things in place!

did you also install the special alkalai resistant mesh tape on the joints like the instructions say? This is important, too. Looks like the stuff you'd use on drywall, but is specially made to not disintegrate in the mortar. You can do this as you lay the tile, and it makes it a little easier since you won't create 'speed bumps', which can occur if you do it in advance.

SwannanoaSam

Carpenter/Handyman
Reaction score
thats what i was assumin, thanks for the response! The tile guy is going to run the tape for me before he lays down the tiles. I was looking for my answer in other threads before starting my own, cause that the nice thing to do ya know, and I dont know how many times you have said this. Its amazing how many people don't just look at the manufacturers website, or think they can skip steps haha. thanks again for your time.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I like to let the thin-set dry myself. 1/4" cement board is a great underlayment and walking on it before it sets up is like walking on tile before it does.

You want to avoid pressure points when stepping on freshly installed panels.

I'm sure you allowed to set right away over the hardi-board if you ask the manufacturer but would I? No.

Did you check on your floor's deflection before installing the hardibacker? What size tile is going down?

Careful with the dust and make sure you where a mask.

JW

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the gazillion screws in the board, it's not going anywhere! A tile's a different story and you can break the bond or tip it out of level, or slide it around, but not the cbu when anchored properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks