Quick Help - Is this threaded

Users who are viewing this thread

DeeD

Reaction score
Hubby and I have a leak in our sprinkler system. We tracked it to a collar or junction just before/after the main sprinkler box. So we need to replace that. Well it looks threaded and we've tried to turn it without much luck. Being so close to the elbow we are reluctant to cut it unless we have to.

ETA_ I guess it's a compression coupling??

The part that is leaking is imprinted with
"Flo Burb, CA"
1" I.P.S.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? TIA

362405196.jpg

362405140.jpg

362405094.jpg

Last edited:

DeeD

Reaction score
Hmmmm -not sure if it is a compression coupling....

Last edited:

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
It might be a sliding coupling that is leaking around an O-ring. Better to buy some PVC unions and rebuild the whole shebang.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Clean off the parts better with water and take a few more pics amd maybe we can see better...point with a finger where the leak is...

DeeD

Reaction score
Thanks folks - I appreciate the help so much!!
It was a repair coupling -which was my guess last night -this part of the lawn is very root-y. The whole thing had a crack in it, so the leak was along the entire length of it -could be from a freeze I guess.

The dudes at home depot swore it was a check valve, so I bought a new check valve and all the accessories to make it work, but we got home and cut it out and it is just a plain ole conduit.

So we went back to home depot to get the repair coupling (which my gut was telling me to pick up the first time) and brought that home only to realize that one of the pipes is actually 1 1/4" ARGH -we had a 1 1/2"-to-1" reducer but not the 1 1/4, so we are now on our third trip to home depot!!

I hope once we get this connected we hope we don't have a gazillion other issues. The leak was severe enough that we couldn't get enough pressure to fire up the sprinkler heads and so we turned off the water to the sprinkler system in spring 2007, so I'm expecting that many of the heads will not work and we may have a few other problems -so you might see me around here a bunch!

Thanks for helping me on this one!

Last edited:

DeeD

Reaction score
Okay now we have a problem - it's not a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" so we can't find a fitting...eeek.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
You need to dig away more soil, and see what's what. You are not going to see any PVC sprinkler pipe that isn't sized to IPS standards. Pipe damaged by freezing water or by lightning is another story.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is a siding slip fit coupler used to rejoin pipes underground when a repair had been made. The are sized by the pipe that is being connected. It looks to me like the pipe is 3/4", but hard to judge from the photo. At any rate, the couplers come in all standard PVC pipe sizes. Hard to say for why this is leaking, but possible from freezing. This is such a basic part, even Smock Man should be able to ID it, but as we all know, often SM is just a clerk. If there is an irrigation supply company in your area, they can provide you with what you need.

DeeD

Reaction score
Okay - we have it all fixed! The piece we cut that was not a regular pipe size was a part of the extension coupling, so we cut that off, which meant digging more and having to replace a T. Which we did. e actually dug enough that we had enough give in the pipe that we were able to make the repair with a coupling and straight pipe. Once we got it all cut off to actual pipe, it was quick to build it back.
We waited a few hours and rand the sprinklers - we have a few problems with some heads that need to be replaced, but we are fixed!!

Thanks folks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks