Quick electrical question

Users who are viewing this thread

mrlee304

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me if this wire is rated for 100amps or 125amps. I have two different electricians telling me two different answers and before I call a third. I would like some info myself to stay in the loop.

2 cdrs 2-1 CDr awg 4 aL Triple e alloy aa8176 type se cable style u type XHHW-2 CDRS 600 VOLTS

This is what I can see and read. I would greatly appreciate any kind of info or links or answers. I don't want to call out an electrician without some information. I would really like to just hire one of these men but now i'm thinking one of them is wrong and that has me worried.

Thanks

Lee

Reach4

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me if this wire is rated for 100amps or 125amps. I have two different electricians telling me two different answers and before I call a third. I would like some info myself to stay in the loop.

2 cdrs 2-1 CDr awg 4 aL Triple e alloy aa8176 type se cable style u type XHHW-2 CDRS 600 VOLTS

http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts says maybe 75 amps for 4 AWG aluminum, and there are probably more restrictions. 2-conductor? I don't know if that part would be OK. I am not an electrician. I may be wrong.

The one that says 100 is closer, but I don't think right.

Stuff

Reaction score
If that is 4 gauge aluminum (awg 4 AL) wire then it is not rated for 100 amps.

Since almost no devices are rated at 90º you need to go by the 75º column of the table mentioned above. The 90º column is for derating calculations (temp,# conductors).

For service conductors serving the entire house/dwelling the rules are more slack. Even so, #4 AL was not even on the list.
jL7bH.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks