Questions regarding adding sanitary tee and sink with existing drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Aleksander

Reaction score
Hello. I have posted here before, and end up reading here quite often, not sure whats up with my username not showing..

I am in Michigan, and trying to add a utility sink into the basement for when I work down there.

I have an existing drain, schedule 30 3" with a Y and angled adapter, going into the floor drain with a cleanout.

dKoBtsd.jpg

I would like to put the utility sink to the right of this, which leaves me with 3 options as far as installing the sanitary tee.

1. putting the sink on risers..like 4x4's

621Wz7s.jpg

to shore up the overall height, and then either running the drain into the existing drain stack with a sanitary tee 3x3x2

2. , cutting off the cleanout..running the drain into that, adding in some pipe, then the sanitary tee, then installing a new cleanout on top of the tee.

3. not putting on risers, and cutting the whole cleanout and fittings with it low to the ground, adding the new sanitary tee on top there, then reinstalling the existing y and angle joint to the main drain.

Option 3 sounds like the worst, IMO, and I'm leaning towards option 1. Just wanted to know if there are any specific rules here that force me to use a certain one of the above.

are there rules or code as to which of the two is better/allowed/not allowed?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A cleanout is required, but that can be moved up or down if you're cutting pipe anyway.
The sink trap will need a vent of some sort. At least an AAV for it. If it's me, I'm installing the sink as it comes and modifying the piping there to fit the sink.

What is your user name? All I'm seeing is the question marks.

Aleksander

Reaction score
Terry, to be honest with you, I have no clue what my previous username was. I checked all my saved passwords and the only way I was able to login was recovering my account my email. It would likely have my first name (Aleksander) spelled that way in it. You personally responded to my previous post, that I do remember.

Also, I forgot to mention, the plan is to have an oatey surevent to address the venting issue you mentioned. I have a 6 inch piece of 2" pvc, with a reducer to take it down to 1 1/2" on the sink side, and a y fitting with a 6 " piece of pvc heading up for the oatey surevent to be installed into and another 2" drain pipe for the other end heading to the vertical drain, with a 3 x 3 x 2 sanitary tee for that.

It would definitely be doable to cut the side with the cleanout and install the sanitary tee there, I was just worried about cutting the pipe there, with it being that close to the floor, and not leaving much leftover.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks