Questions on supply/drainage pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Michaela521

Reaction score
Hi all, Got some questions if you don't mind answering.

1) Is access needed for drainage fittings on a bathtub? You usually use a drain waste and overflow assembly with trap here but I was wondering if I could keep it conceiled if I solvent glued the fittings instead of used a slip joint. The only joint of concern I think would be where the pipe connects to the tub. The reason is it is going on a whirlpool and the deck I would like to make it look nice instead of having another access panel in addition to the water pump.

2) Inorder to make a trap on a shower when you cannot have a cleanout you use a 180 degree turn with a 90 degree turn and solvent glue them? No access need here right?

3) Talking about drainage is it possible to conceal all fittings for the supply tubing. Do I need access to the shower supply fittings enclosed in the wall? Perhaps I can use a certain joint or tube to keep in concealed. Could I also get by with concealing all the supply tubing for the whirlpool faucet.

Thanks for helping me out. :cool:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
#1 Here you must use sch. 40 PVC solvent welded on any tub that does not have an access pannel.

#2 Don't make a trap, buy a 2" trap at one of the big box stores.

#3 the supply fittings can be conceled but be sure you can access them easily in the future if necessary.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

1. If you use a trip lever pop-up drain, it will probably be slip joint.
2. A 180 bend and an elbow is a trap.
3. Future provision for access to the pipes depends entirely on where the valve is a located. It would be impossible to provide that access if the valve is between two tubs and/or showers, or on an outside wall.

Michaela521

Reaction score
quoteIf you use a trip lever pop-up drain, it will probably be slip joint.quote

1) I can just get a drain assembly that is meant for solvent glueing right? Or are there some drains that you need a slip joint on.

2) I suppose I will need a access panel for the supply fittings though. I was going to put the supply tubes in a wall that is inbetween the whirlpool and shower. Cannot do that know though. I will have to move everything around some so I can give it a access panel for both the shower and whirlpool water supplies. OR PERHAPS I COULD.......

Quote Future provision for access to the pipes depends entirely on where the valve is a located. It would be impossible to provide that access if the valve is between two tubs and/or showers, or on an outside wall Quote

Does this mean that every water fixture to meet code needs a shut off valve. Of course every shutoff valve needs access. Perhaps I could then put the shut off valve somewhere else in the room instead of where the fixture is located. Does the tube that connects to the fixture need access. This joint is usually a threaded connection that utilizes tephlon tape to make a seal and alot of times is on flexible tubing (except on the shower assembly no flexible tubing there). This connection doesn't need a access panel though right only the valve does? Thanks all :cool:

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks