Questions about grinder pump for new construction

Users who are viewing this thread

Prospect62

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new guy here and a new guy to plumbing and DIY. I really don't know ANYTHING about anything as far as that is concerned, although I have been a homeowner for 8 years. I'm in public safety and have never been much of a DIY'er, but I do know my way around an automobile. There's my intro, on to my question...

My wife and I are building a modular home (2300 sq/ft, 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath). We have a plot of land about 1.5 acres in size in a typical environment here in Central New York State (kind of wet, kind of snowy). Our plot is situated so that the home will be located about 175 feet off the road, and (here's the kicker) the area where the basement will be dug lies about 6 feet below street level. The way the land grades, it slopes DOWN from the road to where the house will be. Obvious concerns include the sewer line, among other things. I have had two excavators/sewer guys at the site to evaluate the situation. I have been told it CAN be done, but I will need a grinder pump to eject the sewage from the home to the public sewer line (typical gravity system) at the street and given the slope, this will be the ONLY way a home can be built here. My "water in the basement" and drainage concerns are being addressed and can be discussed another day...

OK - so I need a grinder pump. I've only known grinder pumps for use in recreational basement bathrooms where gravity is an issue for occasional use. I've never heard of a grinder pump being used for everyday load of a 4 person family (dishwashing, laundry, showers, etc.). Are grinder pumps a reliable solution here? Are they that durable? I have terrible fears of grinder pump failure leading to awful sewage backups every couple years. Will someone tell me what my excavators are suggesting? Will this work?

I have been on YouTube and have learned a little about residential grinder pumps like the "E-1" systems and others. I still have concerns and was wondering if this is a common solution to new constructions where gravity won't cut it?

Thanks for any help and please, spare NO details.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
This type of system is done all the time, it is nothing new. There are different requirements depending on the municipality. I would contact them to see what their requirements are for your community. Here is a link to a typical set up:
http://www.aacounty.org/DPW/Utilities/grinderPumps.cfm

https://www.municode.com/library/ny...d=TITVIIPUWO_CH7-7PRILDIACAN_S7-7-5SELITAETGE

(I see your city has changed so here is info I found from this new city)
Grinder pump requirements start at the bottom of page 29 and goes down until at least page 42 in this document:
http://townofmarcy.org/content/Departments/View/11:field=documents;/content/Documents/File/169.pdf

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you will want a battery powered alarm for indicating that the sump pit level is higher than normal. That will tell you to stop flushing etc if there is a failure.

This might be an additional point to consider if you were considering a natural gas powered whole house generator. At least run the gas line with enough capacity if you want to add that later.

Zoeller makes good grinder pumps. http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ea/category/1-grinder-pumps

There should usually be a 2 inch vent pipe to the roof from the sealed sewer pit.

Prospect62

Reaction score
Well I feel a little better about it. My Town sent me a document outlining the sewer system in place. Looks like one of the mains is 18 feet deep where it connects to a "drop manhole" and then is 6 feet deep on the other side of that (the side where I'm building). Does this thing look greek to anyone but me? Our site is located where the area is highlighted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks