Questions about flushing water lines with bleach/safety?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sbas

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I live in a tiny house on wheels and I'm planning to sanitize my lines soon. The water is starting to smell when filling a cup of water up (but smells fine straight out of the external water filter system).

I'm curious if flushing with bleach is actually safe to do or not? I'm concerned it might damage my PEX lines and cause them to leach. Haven't been able to find any studies. Additionally, what type of bleach is recommended? I've been told oxygen bleach is the safest.

Assuming I will move forward with bleach flushing, I am trying to figure out the best way to go about it and the correct water ratio.

I have clearsource rv filters outside the house and was advised to remove the filters and fill up the cartridge housing with bleach solution, screw back in, turn the water on slightly, turn off, and repeat (until all of the water lines are filled).

I was planning to just fill up some gallon water jugs with the mixture, and use to keep filling up the housing.

Does this sound like it would work?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would use liquid chlorine bleach, but I would reduce the pH with vinegar. Don't mix vinegar and bleach directly, however.

I would go for circulating the water. For example, pump water from the tub with a small utility pump. That pumped water would go to the water input for the tiny house. Instead of a tub, you could use a new clean plastic trash can, or a used trash can using a couple big can liners to keep the water separate from the old can.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my write-up for wells. You can use some of the same principles, except lower levels of chlorine should be fine. Maybe 25 to 50 ppm I am thinking. But the main difference is that you would not need a flooding volume.

I am thinking to leave the old filter cartridge in place thru most of the process. That way crud that might get loosened gets caught by the old cartridge.
I am not a pro.

Last edited:

Sbas

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. A bit confused though, you said to reduce PH with vinegar but to not use vinegar with bleach?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. A bit confused though, you said to reduce PH with vinegar but to not use vinegar with bleach?
Bring the pH of the water you will circulate down to about 5. Use the pH meter to know that. Circulate well. Then add bleach.

You don't get the chlorine production until something like pH 4 or lower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks