questions about fittings for sink drain connection

Users who are viewing this thread

outofplumb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm replacing a sink in my bathroom and will need to redo the drain plumbing.

Now the 2 fittings I have at hand are:
- an adapter/reducer to connect the sink's 1-1/4 chrome tailpiece (compression fitted) to the 1-1/2 drain pipe (solvent welded), and
- a 1-1/2 P-trap (solvent weld at both ends, with a "swivel nut" joint on one side of the "U").

In theory I can see how everything will be put together. But the problem I have is this: I have worked in the past with slip-joint fittings where there is both a nut and a beveled washer (nylon, I guess?); you slip the nut, then and the washer onto the one pipe, and then fasten the nut to the threaded adapter on the fitting.

However, in both the fittings I have above, there are no washers. I can see that the inside of the nut does not have a flat end; it has a "lip" on it. On the other (threaded) side of the fitting, the inside edge is beveled inward so it seems that the "lip" on the nut fits on the inside of the fitting body. I suppose this is what compresses against the inserted pipe?

So here are my questions:
1 - Is that "lip" supposed to take the place of a separate washer?
2 - Is this type of joint as reliable as a "standard" nut and washer arrangement?
3 - What happens if I unscrew the joint, either during assembly or some time down the road? Is this type of joint reusable?
4 - Is it suggested to use teflon "pipe thread compound" on this type of ABS joint? The compound I bought is a "Master Plumber" branded product.
Will this make a better joint? Is this safe on ABS?

Hope this is clear. Please ask if you need more info.

Thanks,
outofplumb

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks