Questioning Cost of Toilet Install

Users who are viewing this thread

diverdave

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bathroom and I finished laying the porcelain tile floor and left the rough-in for the toilet exactly where the old one was. The toilet riser underneath was 4" copper and I explained that to them in advance and they ordered the right size flex coupling to connect the PVC from the flange and came with that part in-hand. The last time I had this company install a toilet for me in the same configuration they sent 1 guy and charged me less than $300. This time they sent 2 guys and charged me $788 ($626 labor, $107 parts, tax), they charged 2 guys at 3 hours. This seems extremely high to me for both parts and labor but granted it's been a while since I paid anyone to do plumbing work. They needed to drill the holes for the flange through porcelain and I see they used 4" PVC to connect to the 4" copper but I can't for the life of me figure out how a toilet install costs $788. I definitely would have done it myself if I'd have known it would be anywhere near this amount but they won't give you a quote in advance. Does this seem excessive? Do I have grounds to question this charge?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT's a "fool's errand" to second guess a job that's alreeady completed, because we do not know what they had to deal with or their level of skill and competence all of which affect the final price.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber or a pro. As a homeowner, I would challenge them on why the second plumber was necessary to complete the job. If they don't have a reasonable explanation, you could consider a BBB complaint. I would not consider "training the new guy" to be a reasonable explanation.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
How did you not think to ask them what the rates would be? Do you go to restaurants without seeing the price for the food you're buying? Do you shop at grocery stores and not compare the price between the items you're buying?

Did you ask them for a price and they refused? Again, why would you agree to that?

diverdave

Reaction score
How did you not think to ask them what the rates would be? Do you go to restaurants without seeing the price for the food you're buying? Do you shop at grocery stores and not compare the price between the items you're buying?

Did you ask them for a price and they refused? Again, why would you agree to that?

I'm not arguing about the rates, they are what they are. Its virtually impossible to get a fixed price out of a plumber for a job like this at least in my area, they won't come out and look at it beforehand and quote you. Additionally, I'd used these guys twice before and did not have a problem. I guess my issue is why send 2 guys to do a one person job.

You don't seem to understand the difference between fixed price and time and materials work. Your signature seems to indicate you are a plumber or something, do you show up and give people a free fixed price quote before you begin the job? I've never met a plumber that would do that.

Reach4

Reaction score
You don't seem to understand the difference between fixed price and time and materials work. Your signature seems to indicate you are a plumber or something, do you show up and give people a free fixed price quote before you begin the job? I've never met a plumber that would do that.
I am not a plumber, but curious-- would you pay $50 for such a visit?

I have suspected that some people take advantage of the willingness of some tradespeople to give free quotes, and call maybe for 6 such bids/quotes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We can often give a price from the pictures the homeowner sends. Some companies prefer charging for a quote, at the jobsite. That way you've already made time in the day and are not as likely to say no.
I plan on doing the work every time, so I prefer to quote over email or on the phone. That being said, I will never be one of those well to do plumbers with a nice boat I guess.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I've had similar things happen with auto repairs. Bring it in for one thing, pick it up and the back door auto-close button no longer works. Take it back and it's hundreds of dollars to fix what they broke. A basic programming thing, that if I had more time I "could have done", but would rather be taking a plumbing job and let them do the auto mechanic job.
And then there was the distributor cap thing. Engine was running horrible until I took it to a different mechanic. And perhaps the oil change that wasn't done right and my engine blew and I needed a new one.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
An honest 6 hours work (2 guys x 3 hours) 600 bucks hundred an hour ? overcharged? maybe ? It sounds in the ball park to me. 75 to 150 an hour doesn't sound crazy
I don't call it a fools errand 100 bucks an hour is certainly within a normal price range in my opinion even if I might go below that at times. and I think its entirely worth second guessing after the fact . I disagree that by not asking for flat rate bid that a contractor should be able to charge any amount he wishes and not be questioned the amount. However the price he charged sounds at least somewhat reasonable

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks