Questionable Shower Drain in New House

Users who are viewing this thread

Danny Raetzsch

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new house and one of the upstairs showers has what looks to me like some questionable drain plumbing. I just wanted to see what some others with more experience than I thought about it. Here's what it currently looks like:

https://cl.ly/2V3O0T250U1T

Originally the gray compression gasket was not there. It was installed after I complained that I didn't think the drain was installed correctly.

In short, is this a properly installed drain? If not, what's incorrect?

Thanks for any feedback.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
This looks fine. You can go ahead and vacuum the debris.

"Originally the gray compression gasket was not there. It was installed after I complained that I didn't think the drain was installed correctly."

The gray gasket, which you force in, fills in the gap between the drain pipe and the flange so snugly, to stop leaks.

The shower base installer was thinking about his burrito for lunch and forgot to put the gasket in.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The original gasket probably went all the way to the bottom of the "hub" and the gray one was set on top of it, but probably had NOTHING to do with "sealing" the drain.

Danny Raetzsch

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, dj2. Is there a name for this particular type of drain? I'm used to seeing the kind that have angled flange inside but this one is new to me.

@hj I wish you were right but I have my doubts! The plumber who put in the gasket sounded very concerned when he asked "you haven't been using this shower, have you?" Fortunately the answer was no.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, dj2. Is there a name for this particular type of drain? I'm used to seeing the kind that have angled flange inside but this one is new to me.

@hj I wish you were right but I have my doubts! The plumber who put in the gasket sounded very concerned when he asked "you haven't been using this shower, have you?" Fortunately the answer was no.
I really hope he didn't ask you that question because he thought you smelled like a goat.
Anyway, I've always called it a compression fitting. It has the potential for being a really good part because it allows you to make your final connections from above. You glue the end of the pipe and shove it down into the fitting below, slide the rubber sleeve down over the pipe, then screw the compression ring into the fitting with the world's most poorly designed free tool and a flat screwdriver. I don't see the compression ring in your picture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks