Questionable connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Fein

Reaction score
I received such helpful comments from Terry and HJ last time I'm back for more...

I am trying to find out if it codes typically allow use of two 22.5 degree elbows as shown in the attached photo (we are under 2006 Natl. Standard PC). This is for a shower drain that will run through a sistered 2x8 joist (I'm trying to stay in the center of the joist). Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• shower drain.jpg
    shower drain.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 514

Fein

Reaction score
Thanks- that sounds better than what I have.
I guess I misinterpreted the code- I thought that all the changes from horiz to vert had to be 45 degrees to vertical OR 1/4"/1'-0".

Fein

Reaction score
I thought slopes had to be either 1/4" per foot (1/8" for 3") OR 45 degrees or more. Is this not correct? Thanks again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bends

Using those fittings is not a problem. HOW you are using them could be. If that is the discharge from a trap on the left, you cannot roll them downward or you will create a "3/4 S trap". If it is from a trap on the right, you cannot roll them upward or you create a "deep seal" trap. If it is merely a continuous drain line flowing from left to right it is okay. If you are using them in a legal configuration, then rolling the elbow downward and using a street/spigot 1/16 bend into it would be a more elegant installation.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I thought slopes had to be either 1/4" per foot (1/8" for 3") OR 45 degrees or more. Is this not correct? Thanks again.

Slope has to be 1/4" per foot minimum..period. No other requirement. ( also might allow 1/8" per foot for 4" and larger.)

Fein

Reaction score
HJ- not sure I follow you...

The line drains from left to right. The long 90 ell on the left will receive water from a shower trap (on the other side of the joist) There will be a +/- 4" run between the trap exit and the ell. If I roll the ell with the street 1/16 (great suggestion) would this create a 3/4 S trap?

I read somewhere (this forum?) that solids won't flow properly at certain slopes- that's why I thought slopes were restricted as I wrote previously. I take it this is not the case (I'll look in old posts).

btw- I really appreciate the advice and forum.

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
I read somewhere (this forum?) that solids won't flow properly at certain slopes- that's why I thought slopes were restricted as I wrote previously. I take it this is not the case (I'll look in old posts).

btw- I really appreciate the advice and forum.

True. Too much slope and the solids will not stay with liquids and dry up/bond(especially if the fixture isnt used very much) to the inside of the pipe creating a bad clog down the road.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The solids won't keep up with the liquids, regardless, so dont worry about it. Any slope greater than the minimum is okay.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is no such thing as too much slope and nothing in the code addresses too much slope, only not enough slope.

Turds Tumble:D

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Look at slope this way. When you go down a water slide, do you separate from the water and get left behind?;)

Fein

Reaction score
Ok- thanks. I'm pretty clear on the slope max/min now.

I guess the problem, clarified in Iminaquagmire's post re: 3/4 s trap, is that I have to vent before the offset to avoid creating a siphon. Thanks all.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
The line drains from left to right. The long 90 ell on the left will receive water from a shower trap (on the other side of the joist)

By your description, I believe the line shown is a trap arm (unless there is a vent fitting on the other side of the joist, before the trap). I don't know about your code, but mine (UPC) does not allow a change of horizontal elevation (other then by fall) on a trap arm.

Last edited:

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
Turds dont lie down like we do on the water slides. To go down the slide, we lay on our backs to go faster and with the water.

There is no way anyone can say there is only a 'minimum' and no maximum because that's what code says.

Code says what it says, but common sense proves other wise in this case.

Ever seen a toilet drain pipe on a 22.5 degree slope?:p

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe in BC the turds side down the hill different...
!/4" pitch is a minimum except in some cases where 1/8" pitch is allowed...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks