Question re. position of kitchen sink tail piece's dishwasher inlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Anna Nguyen

Reaction score
I replaced my 30-year old cast iron (!) kitchen sink with a stainless steel sink. The old sink is 8" deep. The SS sink is 10" deep, which causes a bit of a problem: the inlet for the dishwasher on the tailpiece is too low in relations to the wall drain pipe! There is not enough room height-wise for the two 90' elbows. Here's a pic (click for bigger pic):

So I had the bright idea of flipping the tailpiece on its side and use it as the horizontal connector between the two 90' elbows, as so:

I have two questions:

1. The 90' elbow is supposed to receive a pipe with a tapered washer. Instead, I used a flanged washer between the flanged end of the tailpiece and the 90' elbow. (It was really late and I was really tired and just want to finish up and didn't want to even cut the flange off of the tailpiece!) Here's another pic (showing two flanged washers in place, but I ended up using only one washer, the one on the tailpiece in the pic):

So far, that seems to work fine; no leaks. My question is has anybody used a flanged washer with a fitting that's supposed to received a tapered washer?

2. With the dishwasher inlet in that position, do you think there would be any issues with the dishwasher draining properly? (We don't use the dishwasher much; I guess I can just fire it up and see if we get a flood .)

Thank you!

(P.S. This is an amazing, active, useful, informative, Web site! I love all the info in the forums! ❤️ )

Reach4

Reaction score
If that is a trap adapter at the wall, a 45 might make things easier by bringing the top of the trap to where you want. Your horizontal branch might be a good solution too, but I think bringing the trap input over to the tailpiece would be better.

There are slip joint elbows available in 45s and 90s.
white-everbilt-drains-drain-parts-c9665-c3_145.jpg
white-everbilt-drains-drain-parts-c9665-64_145.jpg

You cut off the existing white pipe 1.5 inches or so away from the trap adapter. Screw on the slip joint elbow.

Alternatively, get a metal or plastic slip joint double off-set and cut it. Stick the cut end into the trap adapter instead of the current white pipe.
046224052555.jpg
index.php

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The flange could have been cut off and the slip joint washer used instead. You would need to make that decision before cutting the other end though.

Normally I would have 45'd from the wall and run the dishwasher fitting on the vertical.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks