Question Re Danco Replacement Hot/Cold Stem 9C-23H/C for American Standard Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Tonysben

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I am in the process of replacing a hot water stem on a bathtub. I purchased a 9C-23H/C Danco stem which is a match for the old stem which is leaking and noticed that the new stem has a silver, wavy metal ring separating the end portion of the stem that goes into the wall and that holds the end washer. I have done this repair before in the past and do not recall such a ring being needed. And the stem that I am replacing doesn't have the ring either. Is this ring needed or is it just set there by the manufacturer to protect the end portion of the stem before it is installed. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The wave washer is supposed to go around the washer retainer and below the brass washer supporting the packing. It's purpose is to provide pressure on the packing to control water from leaking around the stem.

1647789237875.png

Tonysben

Reaction score
Thank you Marliman for the response! Is it worth my time to check the other stem to see if it has the wavy washer? I haven't had any leaks coming through the stem where the handle is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks